Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com> on 2020/12/09 01:38:33 UTC

Let's test Tapestry 5.7.0-SNAPSHOT

Hello, community!

We're close to releasing Tapestry 5.7.0, which I'd love to have it released
before the end of year holidays to end this troubled year with something
nice. Since there's going to be larger changes than usual, I'd like to
invite the community to test it on their projects a bit to eventually catch
some regressions the team and the unit tests couldn't catch yet. You can
see a list of all changes in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20=%20TAP5%20AND%20fixVersion%20=%205.7.0
until a proper release notes page is added to the website.

Tapestry 5.7.0-SNAPSHOT JARs were uploaded to the ASF's Maven snapshots
repository at https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots/.

Biggest change is making Tapestry easier to use in modularized (i.e. Java
9+ modules) projects. The work on this was done in 2 major parts and a
small one:
* Avoiding split packages. In other words, packages that are present in
more than one JAR. We had to move lots of Tapestry classes around
JARs/subprojects since there were many and populous split packages.
* Providing automatic module names, all using the formula
"org.apache.tapestry.[adapted JAR name]", where [adapted JAR name] is the
current JAR name with 'tapestry-', dashes and the character '5' removed.
For example, tapestry5-annotations automatic module name is
org.apache.tapestry.annotations. Creation of module-info.java files are
left for the future.
* A simple migration tool to update fully qualified class names in Java
source files for classes which were moved and/or renamed. It's basically a
search-and-replace using a table of (old class name -> new class name)
extracted out of Git commits.

To run this migration tool, download the JAR at
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots/org/apache/tapestry/tapestry-version-migrator/5.7.0-SNAPSHOT/tapestry-version-migrator-5.7.0-20201208.195518-8.jar
and run "java
-jar tapestry-version-migrator-5.7.0-20201208.195518-8.jar upgrade 5.7.0"
(without quotes). It will process all .java files found in the current
folder and its subfolders, recursively.

Since the stuff above was going to be needed anyway, I've also seized the
opportunity to separate the Tapestry request pipeline classes (i.d.
HttpServletRequestFilter, RequestFilter, Dispatcher, etc) into a new
subproject/JAR, tapestry-http, which can be used without tapestry-core,
which includes the page/component framework and the asset handling classes.

The other breaking change in 5.7.0 is changing the TypeCoercer service from
having an unordered configuration to a mapped one. This was done so it's
very clear when a coercion is overriden. Here's a real example from
Tapestry itself: if you had a contribution method like this:

    @Contribute(TypeCoercer.class)
    public static void provideCoercions(Configuration<CoercionTuple>
configuration)
    {
        configuration.add(CoercionTuple.create(String.class,
JSONObject.class, new StringToJSONObject()));
     }

it should be changed to this:

    public static void
provideCoercions(MappedConfiguration<CoercionTuple.Key, CoercionTuple>
configuration)
    {
        CoercionTuple<String, JSONObject> stringToJsonObject =
CoercionTuple.create(String.class, JSONObject.class, new
StringToJSONObject());
        configuration.add(stringToJsonObject.getKey(), stringToJsonObject);
    }

5.7.0 is built with Java 11 (first long-term support version after Java 9),
but targeting Java 8 bytecode, so It should be able to run on Java 8 to 14.

Please post your findings here in the mailing list so we can coordinate the
creation of Jira tickets and get this new version ready to be voted and
released in the next 2 weeks.

Thanks in advance! Happy testing!

--
Thiago

Re: Let's test Tapestry 5.7.0-SNAPSHOT

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.
I have continued maintaining tapestry-resteasy, tapestry-security and the
rest of tynamo libraries throughout the years, sometimes more actively and
some other times less so depending on how busy I am with other things. I'm
always disappointed to hear people making customized versions to fix some
things for themselves without contributing back after taking and using the
work of so many others that have put the effort into sharing their work
with all.

Kalle

Posted by David Taylor <da...@extensiatech.com>.
Hi Thiago,

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Taylor <da...@extensiatech.com>.
Hi Thiago,

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 10:32 PM Dmitry Gusev <dm...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Thiago,

Hello!

> This release has a significant change in packages, none of the existing
> 3rd-party tapestry libraries will be compatible with this release -- they
> all will need recompilation and mentioned fixes, even if they don't use
> Java 9 modules.

Indeed. I ran into this problem with tapestry-geb.

> So it is a major change according to semver.
> Have you considered bumping the major version to 6.x?

For historical reasons, no. We've promised in the past there wouldn't be a
Tapestry 6, since Tapestry 5 is a complete rewrite and completely
incompatible with Tapestry 4, and other past versions are in the same
situation. Tapestry had an image of a framework that rewrites itself after
a few years and one major version. So, actually, 5.7.0 will actually be
version 7.0 of the Tapestry 5 framework. This mass moving of classes won't
need to happen again, so I think having 6 as the major version isn't
necessary.

> Also if we're doing this change, maybe flatten existing interfaces left
> from previous releases, like Asset2, ServiceDef2, ServiceDef3, etc.?

I thought about that too, but didn't implement it. Good idea. Would you
volunteer to do that? :)

Cheers!

Posted by Dmitry Gusev <dm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Thiago,