Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by David Tyrrell <db...@hotmail.com> on 2009/06/16 20:11:56 UTC

Getting Started with Java DB

I'm trying to use the above tutorial (http://developers.sun.com/docs/javadb/10.5.1.1/getstart/getstart-single.html) but I do not find the subfolders

\demo\programs\toursdb\

specified in the tutorial for the first example. I downloaded appserver/derby/netbeans 2 days ago. The derby version seems to be 10.2.2.1. I am able to create databases, tables, connections etc in netbeans. Do I need an older version of the tutorial?

ps my real problem is ClassNotFoundException on Class.forName("org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver"),

(or if i skip this step (unneccesary according to recent doc.), i get no suitable driver found on DriverManager.getConnection())

even though derby.jar is in my classpath according to sysinfo.

Microsoft brings you a new way to search the web.  Try  Bing™ now
http://www.bing.com?form=MFEHPG&publ=WLHMTAG&crea=TEXT_MFEHPG_Core_tagline_try bing_1x1

Re: Getting Started with Java DB

Posted by Francois Orsini <fr...@gmail.com>.
Hi David,

I would recommend this tutorial if you are using Netbeans.
http://www.netbeans.org/kb/docs/ide/java-db.html

I think you maybe be missing the toursdb demo directory as I don't recall it
being bundled with the appserver.

What you could do is download a more recent version  (10.5.1.1) of Java DB
directly from the Java DB portal to use instead of 10.2.2.1 which is an old
release - toursdb will definitely be in there.
http://developers.sun.com/javadb/downloads/index.jsp

If you are using netbeans, you can verify if derby.jar is added a part of
your project classpath / library - check under your project's properties
(libraries category)

Cheers

--francois