Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Amit Khurana <ak...@askjeeves.com> on 2006/02/22 21:03:57 UTC

how to create web project for eclipse using maven eclipse plugin

Hi Guys

I am using maven eclipse plugin to create projects compatible for
eclipse. It works fine for simple java projects but not for web project.

Running mvn eclipse:eclipse for web project creates following enteries
in .project

<projectDescription>
  <name>search-app</name>
  <comment/>
  <projects/>
  <buildSpec>
    <buildCommand>

<name>org.eclipse.wst.common.modulecore.ComponentStructuralBuilder</name

      <arguments/>
    </buildCommand>
    <buildCommand>
      <name>org.eclipse.jdt.core.javabuilder</name>
      <arguments/>
    </buildCommand>
    <buildCommand>
      <name>org.eclipse.wst.validation.validationbuilder</name>
      <arguments/>
    </buildCommand>
    <buildCommand>

<name>org.eclipse.wst.common.modulecore.ComponentStructuralBuilderDepend
encyResolver</name>
      <arguments/>
    </buildCommand>
  </buildSpec>
  <natures>
    <nature>org.eclipse.jem.workbench.JavaEMFNature</nature>
    <nature>org.eclipse.jdt.core.javanature</nature>
    <nature>org.eclipse.wst.common.modulecore.ModuleCoreNature</nature>
  </natures>
</projectDescription>

whereas a web project created using eclipse have this in .project file

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<projectDescription>
 <name>test-web</name>
 <comment></comment>
 <projects>
 </projects>
 <buildSpec>
  <buildCommand>
   <name>com.genuitec.eclipse.j2eedt.core.WebClasspathBuilder</name>
   <arguments>
   </arguments>
  </buildCommand>
  <buildCommand>
   <name>org.eclipse.jdt.core.javabuilder</name>
   <arguments>
   </arguments>
  </buildCommand>
  <buildCommand>
   <name>com.genuitec.eclipse.j2eedt.core.J2EEProjectValidator</name>
   <arguments>
   </arguments>
  </buildCommand>
  <buildCommand>

<name>com.genuitec.eclipse.j2eedt.core.DeploymentDescriptorValidator</na
me>
   <arguments>
   </arguments>
  </buildCommand>
  <buildCommand>
   <name>com.ibm.etools.validation.validationbuilder</name>
   <arguments>
   </arguments>
  </buildCommand>
  <buildCommand>
   <name>com.ibm.sse.model.structuredbuilder</name>
   <arguments>
   </arguments>
  </buildCommand>
 </buildSpec>
 <natures>
  <nature>com.genuitec.eclipse.j2eedt.core.webnature</nature>
  <nature>org.eclipse.jdt.core.javanature</nature>
 </natures>
</projectDescription>

As per Maven Eclipse documenttation
page(http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-eclipse-plugin/eclipse-mojo.h
tml) we can pass verious parameters but I did not find how to pass those
while running mvn eclipse:eclipse command. I created project.properties
file in dir where .pom exists with following enteries.

maven.eclipse.projectnatures=com.genuitec.eclipse.j2eedt.core.webnature,
org.eclipse.jdt.core.javanature,org.eclipse.wst.common.modulecore.Module
CoreNature
maven.eclipse.buildcommands=com.genuitec.eclipse.j2eedt.core.WebClasspat
hBuilder,org.eclipse.jdt.core.javabuilder,com.genuitec.eclipse.j2eedt.co
re.J2EEProjectValidator,com.genuitec.eclipse.j2eedt.core.DeploymentDescr
iptorValidator,com.ibm.etools.validation.validationbuilder,com.ibm.sse.m
odel.structuredbuilder

But it's not working. Any idea?

Thanks In advance
Amit

Re: how to create web project for eclipse using maven eclipse plugin

Posted by Srepfler Srgjan <sr...@lnksystem.com>.

Posted by Tom Joad <tj...@gmail.com>.
Hello,
What is WTP switch?
I'm not a developper , i know a little about eclipse to achieve the
migration of our project
from no maven management project to maven management project. I use maven m2.x
I give you how i proceed.
I checkout the project from cvs and disconnect it.
I prepare  the project pomfile
I delete WEB-INF/lib.
I close the project under eclipse.

On commandline
I run mvn -e -X eclipse:clean to delete all WTP files.
I run mvn -e -X eclipse:add-maven-repo to add variabe M2_REPO for the
project variable classpaths.
Maven downloads all my dependencies
And finally I run mvn -e -X eclipse:eclipse. maven creates all wtp files.
Open the project under eclipse and go to java build path to export all
M2_REPO dependencies , used by eclipse to deploy the project.
You can run maven goals with eclipse externaltools
http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-ide-eclipse.html
Wish it helps.
Tom

Posted by Srepfler Srgjan <sr...@lnksystem.com>.
Tom Joad wrote:
> Hello
> when you say it's not working what do you mean?
> I suppose you use maven1.x
> For me the problem was eclipse did not build  my project. But maven
> packaging works fine.
> I use maven2.x but i think that you must set MAVEN_REPO as eclipse
> variable of your local repository before running eclipse:eclipse.
> Tom

Are you using the WTP switch?

Re: how to create web project for eclipse using maven eclipse plugin

Posted by Tom Joad <tj...@gmail.com>.
Hello