Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Sven Steiniger <ss...@inf.tu-dresden.de> on 2002/08/26 14:29:29 UTC

Full-featured slide client

Hi!

I just discovered Slide and it looks very promising. I would like to use
it as the persistence-layer of an CMS, including versioning.As far as I understood, the Java-API is fully server-centric. Due to
synchronistation-issues even mapping all stores to databases would not
allow multiple clients to work concurrently. Thus WebDAV should be used to
access the server.But here the problems emerge:
- WebDAV defines the protocoll for accessing the resources on the server
and client-authentification is done using HTTP. But managing users
(creating, modifying, deleting) is not covered. The Slide-client defines
at least the possibility to modify ACLs.It seems that users and ACLs are stored like documents in the datastores
of Slide. Thus, is there any definition how to manage users remotely?
(editing the configuration file and restarting the server is awful)
- DeltaV is the versioning-extension of WebDAV. And versioning is
supported by Slide. But the Slide-client doesn't seem to support this. Is
there anything I missed?
Thus is there any existing work/work in progress for remotely accessing
all features of Slide?
Sven.

Re: Full-featured slide client

Posted by Sung-Gu <je...@apache.org>.
Posted by Tom Wang <to...@panscopic.com>.
Sven,

Not sure what you meant by "not allow multiple clients to work concurrently"
as Slide does allow concurrent clients.  Slide treats users just as other
stored objects and all users are stored under /users/...  I suppose you can
add/delete/modify users as you do with normal objects.

Tom Wang
Panscopic Corporation
Web Reporting, Just Add Data
http://www.panscopic.com/