Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2011/08/12 08:41:34 UTC

[jcs] groupId

Hi,

while looking through the Gump setup for JCS I realized the artifactId
inside the POM had been changed to commons-jcs while the groupId still
is org.apache.jcs.  Does it make sense to keep the old groupId when
you change the artifactId anyway?

Stefan

Re: [jcs] groupId

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 14 August 2011 10:38, Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 12.08.11 08:41, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> while looking through the Gump setup for JCS I realized the artifactId
>> inside the POM had been changed to commons-jcs while the groupId still
>> is org.apache.jcs.  Does it make sense to keep the old groupId when
>> you change the artifactId anyway?
>
> I just thought it was a good idea and it wouldn't do much harm. I agree
> that it is probably better to keep the previous combination for now. I
> will revert the change.

Thanks.

Unfortunately changing the group id without a corresponding package
change can cause lots of problems.
Maven treats it as a different artifact, but the classloader does not.

Package id and Maven group:artifact ids must be changed together.

Re: [jcs] groupId

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.

Re: [jcs] groupId

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@scalaris.com>.
Emmanuel Bourg wrote:

> IMHO unless the main package name has to change due to binary
> incompatibilities in the new version I would stick to the original
> groupId/artifactId (ie org.apache.jcs/jcs).

+1

otherwise Stefan is right and we can adjust the groupId also.

- Jörg

Re: [jcs] groupId

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 13 August 2011 21:22, James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
> If you change stuff around, you need to change the package name(s),
> right?  Otherwise, you could have collisions on the classpath.

Yes, but then everyone using the code will need to edit and recompile.

So best to keep binary compatibility if at all possible.

Re: [jcs] groupId

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Re: [jcs] groupId

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@scalaris.com>.

Re: [jcs] groupId

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Re: [jcs] groupId

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 12 August 2011 08:14, Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org> wrote:
> IMHO unless the main package name has to change due to binary
> incompatibilities in the new version I would stick to the original
> groupId/artifactId (ie org.apache.jcs/jcs).

+1, otherwise users will be forced to edit and recompile - such
changes effectively make it a new component.

Re: [jcs] groupId

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.