Posted to community@apache.org by Keith Curtis <ke...@gmail.com> on 2011/02/21 11:45:19 UTC

GC lingua franca

Hi all;

I sent this message to the LKML last week, but I thought people in
Apache might find it interesting as well.

-Keith
-------------
Science doesn’t always proceed at the speed of thought. It often
proceeds at sociological or even demographic speed. — John Tooby

Open Letter to the LKML;

If we were already talking to our computers, etc. as we should be, I
wouldn’t feel a need to write this to you. Given current rates of
adoption, Linux still seems a generation away from being the priceless
piece of free software useful to every child and PhD. This army your
kernel enables has millions of people, but they often lose to smaller
proprietary armies, because they are working inefficiently. My mail
one year ago (http://keithcu.com/wordpress/?p=272) listed the biggest
workitems, but I realize now I should have focused on one. In a
sentence, I have discovered that we need GC lingua franca(s).
(http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lingua%20franca)