Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org> on 2008/04/08 12:59:23 UTC

[OT] Consideration for your peers

David,

You recommended using the 'tags' folder in svn for sub-projects instead of
using the 'releases' folder.  We agreed to do this *IF* you made sure SVN
was cleaned up and consistent to reflect this.  Meaning you moved all the
old releases into the tags directory.

I just started to deploy the 1.5.2 release and discovered that you did not
do as you said.  You promised something to get us to agree but you did not
deliver.  I now have to release and cleanup subversion, so all the old
releases have to be moved into the tags folder.  This is not a big deal but
this was your reponsibility not mine.  I also noticed that the build now
deploys to tags instead of releases.  I got a bit confused because both the
releases and the tags folder were in SVN.  This was exactly the reason why
we asked you to do it right if you wanted to impose this new way on us.  I
wanted to avoid this confusion and this is why I only agreed to this with
the cleanup.

This particular case is not a big deal.  But other things can be.  These
kinds of things have occurred before when dealing with your changes.

When you require us to do something and we agree to it because you say you
will handle the details, please just do it.  You're leaving a mess for
others to have to clean up.  As far as I am concerned this is a reason to be
extra careful with your commits or suggestions.  I don't want to have to
keep an eye on a committer.

Alex