Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org> on 2011/02/08 21:53:32 UTC

Fwd: [IANA #411617] Application for port-number: couchdbs

Help appreciated.

He raises a good point though, as those links don't work now.

I'm not sure what level of description they require.

Probably nothing more than a handful of paragraphs to explain how CouchDB is a special use-case for HTTP. In the original submission for TCP 5984, I pointed out that TCP 80 is specifically reserved for "World Wide Web HTTP." My argument hinged on the fact that CouchDB is expected to be run on a machine (perhaps on a private interface) that is simultaneously serving up this kind of "World Wide Web" traffic, and so this warranted a separate port.

Begin forwarded message:

Re: [IANA #411617] Application for port-number: couchdbs

Posted by Robert Newson <ro...@gmail.com>.
Sorry Noah, meant to reply earlier.

If the argument that allows 80/443 for http/https is no longer enough,
I don't see how we'll get this registration approved.

Is it possible to listen on one port and handle http and https
correctly? I didn't think so, hence it listens on a different port.

B.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Anyone?

Posted by Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl>.
On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 13:56, Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> wrote:
> No, me too.
>
> I wonder what happened to the domain?

I just mean you already pointed out that they were gone/missing.

Re: [IANA #411617] Application for port-number: couchdbs

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On 14 Feb 2011, at 13:56, Noah Slater wrote:

> No, me too.
>
> I wonder what happened to the domain?

Damien let it run out after we moved to wiki.apache.org.

Cheers
Jan

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
No, me too.

Posted by Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl>.

Posted by Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl>.
On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 21:53, Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org> wrote:
>> - You provided the following for couchdb (#5984):
>>
>> http://www.couchdbwiki.com/index.php?title=CouchDb_Quick_Overview
>> http://www.couchdbwiki.com/index.php?title=Technical_Overview
>> http://www.couchdbwiki.com/index.php?title=HTTP_REST_API

Slightly off-topic: the contents on these URLs doesn't seem to have
anything to do with CouchDB right now (I see some crap about The
Importance of Database Software in Inventory Management).

Cheers,

Dirkjan