Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Emin.shopper Martinian.shopper" <em...@gmail.com> on 2007/07/20 16:01:22 UTC

What is status of svnmerge?

Dear Experts,

What is the status of svnmerge? Is it officialy blessed and maintained with
subversion? If so, why must it be downloaded separately? If not, why not? Do
the subversion developers feel that there is something wrong with svnmerge
or is the belief that merging is already user friendly enough and such
add-ons are unnecessary?

Thanks,
-Emin

Re: What is status of svnmerge?

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
Emin.shopper Martinian.shopper wrote:

>     Svnmerge.py is hosted in the Subversion source code repository itself
>     and comes in the tarball, so it doesn't need to be downloaded
>     separately.
>

> What if you install the windows version? Where is svnmerge in that case?

Well, you need Python to run svnmerge.py, so it wouldn't be appropriate for the
Windows installer to install that.  Also, there's many addon tools to
Subversion, and I'm pretty sure none of them come with the installer .exe.

So you need to go to the website and download the tools yourself:

Latest versions, may not all work with 1.4.x:
http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/contrib/
http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/tools/

Older versions, will work with 1.4.x, but may be lacking newer features:
http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/branches/1.4.x/contrib/
http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/branches/1.4.x/tools/

>     No, svnmerge.py is great, the only thing is that it's not built into
>     Subversion itself.  We don't believe the merging in 1.4 is good enough
>     and 1.5 will have built-in merge tracking support, that extends the
>     svnmerge.py feature set in some areas and leaving some other features
>     for 1.6.
>

> Great, I'm looknig forward to that. While svnmerge is a great idea, it
> doesn't seem very robust as currently implemented. I seem to constantly
> get conflicts about the svnmerge-integrated property, "Out of Date"
> errors, and other problems.

Yes, there are people working on that.

If you're interested, take a look at the svnmerge mailing list:

You may want to join and follow the discussions there.

Regards,
Blair

--
Subversion training, consulting and support
http://www.orcaware.com/svn/

Re: What is status of svnmerge?

Posted by "Emin.shopper Martinian.shopper" <em...@gmail.com>.

> Svnmerge.py is hosted in the Subversion source code repository itself
> and comes in the tarball, so it doesn't need to be downloaded separately.

What if you install the windows version? Where is svnmerge in that case?

No, svnmerge.py is great, the only thing is that it's not built into
> Subversion itself.  We don't believe the merging in 1.4 is good enough
> and 1.5 will have built-in merge tracking support, that extends the
> svnmerge.py feature set in some areas and leaving some other features
> for 1.6.

Great, I'm looknig forward to that. While svnmerge is a great idea, it
doesn't seem very robust as currently implemented. I seem to constantly get
conflicts about the svnmerge-integrated property, "Out of Date" errors, and
other problems.

Thanks

Re: What is status of svnmerge?

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
Blair Zajac wrote:
> Emin.shopper Martinian.shopper wrote:
>> Dear Experts,
>>
>> What is the status of svnmerge? Is it officialy blessed and maintained
>> with subversion? If so, why must it be downloaded separately? If not,
>> why not? Do the subversion developers feel that there is something
>> wrong with svnmerge or is the belief that merging is already user
>> friendly enough and such add-ons are unnecessary?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Emin
>
> We currently use svnmerge.py to manage our feature and release branches.

We being the Subversion developers ourselves to manage the Subversion source code.

Blair

Re: What is status of svnmerge?

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
Emin.shopper Martinian.shopper wrote:
> Dear Experts,
>
> What is the status of svnmerge? Is it officialy blessed and maintained
> with subversion? If so, why must it be downloaded separately? If not,
> why not? Do the subversion developers feel that there is something wrong
> with svnmerge or is the belief that merging is already user friendly
> enough and such add-ons are unnecessary?
>
> Thanks,
> -Emin

We currently use svnmerge.py to manage our feature and release branches.

Svnmerge.py is hosted in the Subversion source code repository itself
and comes in the tarball, so it doesn't need to be downloaded separately.

No, svnmerge.py is great, the only thing is that it's not built into
Subversion itself.  We don't believe the merging in 1.4 is good enough
and 1.5 will have built-in merge tracking support, that extends the
svnmerge.py feature set in some areas and leaving some other features
for 1.6.

Regards,
Blair

--