Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Giovanni Lenzi <g....@smileupps.com> on 2015/05/06 17:49:36 UTC

Re: How do CouchApps fit into the CouchDB story? (Was: CouchDB Articles, Pills and Tutorials Ideas)

Given the importance of this topic: the future of couchapp... I'm moving
this to the user@ mailing list.

This should be definitely something @users should be involved in.. at least
those interested in Couchapps.

To recap:
Jan: wants to remove Couchapp name and design doc functions because it
finds them to be source of confusion

ermouth: pointed out Couchapps are not silver bullet but they cover many
use cases and there are rooms for improvements

giovanni: pointed out many users and industries today are using couchapps
successfully, withouth such this confusion between what couchdb is and what
couchapps are, and they won't simply understand couchapps removal, leading
couchdb to a second-death. Moreover couchapps potential has increased a lot
within the last months: now they are secure and has support for features
like e-mail, sms, paypal/stripe integration, events scheduling.

johs: pointed out couchapps are big recruiter for couchdb and they should
not be dropped: a fadeout of "couchapp" name withouth any removal should be
sufficient

andy: was not aware of the name confusion, and wanted to keep the name

What you all think about it?

Posted by Aurélien Bénel <au...@utt.fr>.
> What you all think about it?

> [many users and industries] won't simply understand couchapps removal, leading couchdb to a second-death

Indeed.

Regards,

Aurélien

Re: How do CouchApps fit into the CouchDB story? (Was: CouchDB Articles, Pills and Tutorials Ideas)

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
> On 06 May 2015, at 19:29, Samuel Lown <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I developed a small mobile couchapp ~4 years ago. The idea was cool, but
> ultimately I felt it required more effort than the benefit for what I
> understood at the time as essentially static file hosting. I'm sure it has
> many more features now.

Nope, it hasn’t changed since :)

> CouchApps are a nice add-on and experiment, but with my experience, I'd
> find it difficult to recommend to anyone wanting to build a complex service
> on top of. The logical choice to me is that this is a plugin as opposed to
> a feature.
>
> I'd like to see CouchDB move in the direction Jan proposes: simplicity and
> a clear message of reliable data storage.

Thank you for your vote of confidence!

> Having said that, I'm desperate to see CouchDB 2.0 launched. If deciding
> either means this happens sooner, I'm in favour :-)

Sadly, any discussion here only means CouchDB 2.0 being pushed out further.
I’d suggest for any real work to happen on this to leave post 2.0.

Best
Jan

Posted by Samuel Lown <sa...@gmail.com>.

www.samlown.com
www.cabify.com
www.autofiscal.com

Re: How do CouchApps fit into the CouchDB story? (Was: CouchDB Articles, Pills and Tutorials Ideas)

Posted by Paul Okstad <po...@gmail.com>.

The original defacto CouchApp guide for me was the CouchDB: Definitive Guide (http://guide.couchdb.org). Sadly, this reference is extremely old and out of date. One of the best things someone could do to help the CouchDB community would be to either update this book or start it’s spiritual replacement.

--
Paul Okstad
http://pokstad.com <http://pokstad.com/>

Re: How do CouchApps fit into the CouchDB story? (Was: CouchDB Articles, Pills and Tutorials Ideas)

Posted by Giovanni P <fi...@gmail.com>.
As a novice, outside user and someone who hasn't followed the CouchDB
history from the beggining, I always imagined that the idea of having
complete apps running on top of CouchDB was something that emerged directly
and straightforwardly from the everything-is-HTTP paradigm. It feels right
to let people use the REST infrastructure that is already working to output
other things instead of just default JSON, and you already have a nice
solution: the limited-access Javascript engine. Again, I think that when
you developed this, you were just following the logic: what is the next
step after having a HTTP-only document database?

The CouchApp branch merges with the replication branch in the concept of
entire apps being cloned (enabling personal webapps for all things) with
one _replicate command.

The bigger problem, as I see, besides the naming, which is really
confusing, is the work it takes to create a simple index for non-CouchApps.
If you're writing a CouchApp then you're good with the CLI tools, the
directory structure, the handwritten indexes and so on, but if you're
writing a regular 3-tier application, having to work with directories and
third-party tools is not great.

Also, I agree with everything Paul Okstad is saying.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Giovanni Lenzi <g....@smileupps.com>.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Giovanni Lenzi <g....@smileupps.com>.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 6:49 PM, Giovanni Lenzi <g....@smileupps.com> wrote:
> What you all think about it?

I think we need just clarify what CouchApp is, define it's show cases
and area where they are works perfectly.
First step is to back couchapp.org online (almost done). Then, just
fill it the right content. That will solve any confusions.

I'm -1 for removal CouchApps as a since it's not possible as CouchApps
are not a some entity, but a way of organizing design documents in
order to solve some specific problem. We just need to find a sweet
spot, a right vector for their future since as for now I feel CouchApp
as a technology is just lost in space.

--
,,,^..^,,,

Re: How do CouchApps fit into the CouchDB story? (Was: CouchDB Articles, Pills and Tutorials Ideas)

Posted by Aurélien Bénel <au...@utt.fr>.
Hi CouchDB folks,

In a controversy, there are always good and bad things happening.
I would recommend getting rid of personal anger, and focus on CouchDB fantastic features that emerge from the discussion.

> When I think of CouchDB, I think about how it is “of the web” and has these brilliant design document strategies that FORCE the user to efficiently create side-effect free transformations of documents and views that work nicely with proxies, etc. Before CouchDB, I never cared about the etag and didn’t use all of the HTTP methods and return codes properly. I didn’t think REST-fully.
> Having a system that structures your code, prevents you from doing stupid non-scaleable things, and forces you to think REST-fully is superior to just winging it free-form in an anything-goes programming environment (unless you’re awesome, but most of us are not). I would like to see more features that FORCE web developers to create a proper RESTful webapp and reinforce the original concept that CouchDB is a pure phenomenon of the web.

I would second that.

When I first adopted CouchDB in 2010, this was just to implement a REST service, and I was amazed how coherent this was (with all headers, status codes and even MapReduce as a way to get derived resources to reduce latency).

Shows and lists helped me understand the distinction made by HTTP specification between a "resource" and a "representation", and therefore the (partial) obsolescence of 3-tier architectures when you have HTTP services (and hence the need to provide a default HTML+JS user interface along with your JSON API).
By the way it would be great if it was easier to have the same URI for a document and a show (or a view and a list), since it is the same abstract "resource", and then to route the request towards a different script according to the `Accept` header.

For all these reasons, I have used CouchDB in every research software I had to implement since. And I adopted CouchDB as THE ultimate tool to teach REST services to my students for several years.

Long live CouchDB,

Aurélien

Re: How do CouchApps fit into the CouchDB story? (Was: CouchDB Articles, Pills and Tutorials Ideas)

Posted by Miles Fidelman <mf...@meetinghouse.net>.
Paul just said it so much better than I did.

Miles

Posted by Paul Okstad <po...@gmail.com>.