Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Dave Colasurdo <da...@earthlink.net> on 2005/10/10 22:20:32 UTC

Geronimo Samples

I believe the community needs to settle on how Samples will be organized
within Geronimo..

I've taken a stab at a few of the issues and have offered my suggestions
on how to resolve.

1) Where in the geronimo source tree will samples reside?
The directory tree:  geronimo/applications/samples should contain (demo,
magicGball, DayTrader, etc.).  This separates the samples from other
geronimo applications (e.g. jmxdebug, uddi-server, welcome).

2) Will the samples (or a subset of samples) exist in the binary
download images?
Yes, have a small, simple web application available as part of the
binary download image (perhaps demo or magicGball).  This will provide a
good first time experience for new users.  An experienced user can
easily remove this sample from the binary before embedding in a separate
project/product.

3) Should there be a separately downloadable set of additional samples
that can be easily installed and run on Geronimo?
Yes, Have an additional downloadable package of samples available that
can be easily installed and run on geronimo.

4) Will the samples exist as selective choices in the downloadable
installer images?
Yes, the geronimo installer will provide a selectable choice for a small
simple web application.  I believe the installer is already doing this.

5) How will the samples be surfaced to the users?
The small simple web application(s) will be predeployed in the binary
image and selectable as an option in the installer binary.
The Geronimo Welcome Page will contain links to these samples.  The
Welcome page will also contain a link that points to the download site
which contains the additional samples and documentation/scripts for
installing these additional samples.

6) What samples should we make available in the binary and installer
download image?
The default samples in the binary and installer should be Demo (and
possibly  magicGball).

7) What samples should be available as a separate download?
-Existing Tomcat Samples (Servlet Examples, JSP Examples)... These
appear to work on Geronimo (w/ Jetty) with one minor change
-Day Trader (currently in sandbox)
-Petstore (currently in sandbox)
-Migration samples (currently under discussion on the devlist)
-Any other sample that can be used to showcase the geronimo
functionality.. Lets add to this list..
-Didn't someone else donate some samples awhile back?

7) What else is needed?
Each additional sample should have documentation and possibly simple
scripts and plans to setup the environment (e.g. datasource).
Also, consider adding the source code to the sample.  This can be quite
useful for users.  Tomcat (Servlet and JSP examples)have provided the
source as part of their samples.

Thoughts?

Thanks
-Dave-

Re: Geronimo Samples

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
+1

Re: Geronimo Samples

Posted by Dave Colasurdo <da...@earthlink.net>.
 >> 7) What samples should be available as a separate download?
 >> -Existing Tomcat Samples (Servlet Examples, JSP Examples)... These
 >> appear to work on Geronimo (w/ Jetty) with one minor change
 >> -Day Trader (currently in sandbox)
 >> -Petstore (currently in sandbox)
 >> -Migration samples (currently under discussion on the devlist)
 >> -Any other sample that can be used to showcase the geronimo
 >> functionality.. Lets add to this list..
 >> -Didn't someone else donate some samples awhile back?
 >>
>>Sing Li contributed a couple samples, GERONIMO-730 and 731.  We should
>>check that they still work and commit them.  I'm going to ask him for a
>>CLA just to be on the safe side.
>
> Actually, I was working on integrating these to get them checked in a
> couple months ago and I had trouble getting the taglib working at all.
> I need to dig back into these and just get them checked in.

Are there any other samples that need to be added to the initial list of
downloadable geronimo samples?

Also, here is a shot at the current status of the known samples.  Can
you please help fill in the blanks..

-Tomcat Samples - run fine on geronimo with a minor tweak (LF x0A
character in web.xml).  Investigating incorporating these with an EJB as
part of the default sample..
-Day Trader - functioning sample
-Petstore - JIRAs open to address pblms???
-Migration Samples - under development by Hernan
-Sing Li's samples (Is there a better name for these?)- being updated by
Bruce/others??
-MagicGball - functional.. anything needed here?
-Demo - functional - looks like recent security changes have been made..
Anything needed here?

I suspect all of these samples require additional documentation created.

BTW, Here is a link to the current Geronimo sample JIRAs
http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&sorter/order=ASC&sorter/field=priority&pid=10220&component=12310222

Thanks
-Dave-

Re: Geronimo Samples

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On 10/12/05, David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I agree with Dain.
>
> Sing Li contributed a couple samples, GERONIMO-730 and 731.  We should
> check that they still work and commit them.  I'm going to ask him for a
> CLA just to be on the safe side.

Actually, I was working on integrating these to get them checked in a
couple months ago and I had trouble getting the taglib working at all.
I need to dig back into these and just get them checked in.

Bruce
);'

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo
http://geronimo.apache.org/

Re: Geronimo Samples

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
I agree with Dain.

Re: Geronimo Samples

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Oct 12, 2005, at 3:08 PM, Dave Colasurdo wrote:
> I'll look into this.. Also, can someone help clarify the line
> between reusing open source and providing unique project identity.
> Basically, I'm wondering if it makes any sense to reuse the Tomcat
> examples (along with a few small additional enhancements (e.g.
> EJBs) as the default sample that gets installed with geronimo.  Or
> is it better to create our own Geronimo unique sample?

That's not a bad idea!  Since many people are familiar with the
examples themselves, it would really put a focus on what is required
on the Geronimo side to get those things to run.

The definitive examples on the EJB side, IMHO, are the Titan EJB
examples from Richard Monson-Haefel's EJB book.  O'Reilly did some
workbooks for the various servers out there, not sure what they are
doing these days.  Mike, any thoughts?

-David

Re: Geronimo Samples

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
+1 Great ideas

-dain

Re: Geronimo Samples

Posted by Dave Colasurdo <da...@earthlink.net>.

Re: Geronimo Samples

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.

__________________________________
http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Geronimo Samples

Posted by Dave Colasurdo <da...@earthlink.net>.

Re: Geronimo Samples

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.

Re: Geronimo Samples

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.

Re: Geronimo Samples

Posted by Dave Colasurdo <da...@earthlink.net>.

Dain Sundstrom wrote:

>>> 6) What samples should we make available in the binary and  installer
>>> download image?
>>> The default samples in the binary and installer should be Demo  (and
>>> possibly  magicGball).
>>>
>> Hmmmm. After looking at Demo. not too sure it is the best choice..
>> MagicGball does seems a bit better though doesn't really  demonstrate
>> the technology (at least not directly in your face).   Tomcat has done
>> a good job in this space with servlets-examples and  jsp-examples..
>> They show some of the J2EE concepts and provide an  easy way to look
>> at the source from the browser.
>

> Good point.  Do you want to take a crack at creating some better  examples?

I'll look into this.. Also, can someone help clarify the line between
reusing open source and providing unique project identity.  Basically,
I'm wondering if it makes any sense to reuse the Tomcat examples (along
with a few small additional enhancements (e.g. EJBs) as the default
sample that gets installed with geronimo.  Or is it better to create our
own Geronimo unique sample?

> I suggest a wiki page for each sample, so users can easily share  their
> experiences.

+1  Yep probably a main "Sample" category on the wiki along with links
to the individual samples (also on the wiki)..

Re: Geronimo Samples

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
On Oct 11, 2005, at 8:23 AM, Dave Colasurdo wrote:

> Is there anybody out there?  Also, one additional update below..

I've been on a lot of airplanes lately...

> Dave Colasurdo wrote:
>
>> I believe the community needs to settle on how Samples will be
>> organized within Geronimo..
>> I've taken a stab at a few of the issues and have offered my
>> suggestions on how to resolve.
>> 1) Where in the geronimo source tree will samples reside?
>> The directory tree:  geronimo/applications/samples should contain
>> (demo, magicGball, DayTrader, etc.).  This separates the samples
>> from other geronimo applications (e.g. jmxdebug, uddi-server,
>> welcome).

+1

>> 2) Will the samples (or a subset of samples) exist in the binary
>> download images?
>> Yes, have a small, simple web application available as part of the
>> binary download image (perhaps demo or magicGball).  This will
>> provide a good first time experience for new users.  An
>> experienced user can easily remove this sample from the binary
>> before embedding in a separate project/product.

+1

>> 3) Should there be a separately downloadable set of additional
>> samples that can be easily installed and run on Geronimo?
>> Yes, Have an additional downloadable package of samples available
>> that can be easily installed and run on geronimo.

I think we should have one small example covering the normal feature
(i.e., not corba) ship with the server, and have more samples
available for download (maybe as tutorials).

>> 4) Will the samples exist as selective choices in the downloadable
>> installer images?
>> Yes, the geronimo installer will provide a selectable choice for a
>> small simple web application.  I believe the installer is already
>> doing this.

Sure.

Re: Geronimo Samples

Posted by Dave Colasurdo <da...@earthlink.net>.