Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Ryan Heaton <ry...@theheatonhome.com> on 2005/11/11 23:50:18 UTC

Jelly: New Tag Library?

I'm working on creating a new tag library for Jelly that provides tags for working with the new Java 5 Annotation Processing Tool
(APT).  I believe this tag library would be very useful for developers who wish to use APT to generate source code or other
documents from java source.  Included in the list of tags would be XDoclet-like tags that iterate through the declarations and types
of a given source base when the JellyContext is populated with the AnnotationProcessingEnvironment.

I have found Jelly could provide a much-needed abstraction on top of Sun's APT Mirror API that would make APT much more useable.
Developers could write a simple Jelly script instead of implementing an AnnotationProcessor.  The script would be a template of
sorts for the generated documents.  Basically, this tag library is to the APT api what JSP is to the Servlet API.

I wanted to see if any Jelly developers would be interested in including this tag library in the Jelly project, or if it should be
kept separate (perhaps in a SourceForge project).  Please consider the following:

1. This tag library would require Java 5.
2. Associated closely with this libarary would be the relevant implemenation classes for com.sun.mirror.apt.AnnotationProcessor and
any other APT-specific classes.

Thanks,

-Ryan

RE: [jelly] New Tag Library?

Posted by Ryan Heaton <ne...@theheatonhome.com>.

So I'm just about finished with this new tag library.  There
are a few more tests I'd like to write, but I believe it's
code-complete.

What is the process for adding this to the project? Who
makes the final decision as to whether this should even be
included in the project?  How do releases get managed? Does
the build currently run with the 1.5 SDK?

Obviously I'm new at this.  Please advise.

-Ryan

Re: Jelly: New Tag Library?

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.
Seems reasonable as a new tag library.

On 11/12/05, Ryan Heaton <ry...@theheatonhome.com> wrote:
> I'm working on creating a new tag library for Jelly that provides tags for working with the new Java 5 Annotation Processing Tool
> (APT).  I believe this tag library would be very useful for developers who wish to use APT to generate source code or other
> documents from java source.  Included in the list of tags would be XDoclet-like tags that iterate through the declarations and types
> of a given source base when the JellyContext is populated with the AnnotationProcessingEnvironment.
>
> I have found Jelly could provide a much-needed abstraction on top of Sun's APT Mirror API that would make APT much more useable.
> Developers could write a simple Jelly script instead of implementing an AnnotationProcessor.  The script would be a template of
> sorts for the generated documents.  Basically, this tag library is to the APT api what JSP is to the Servlet API.
>
> I wanted to see if any Jelly developers would be interested in including this tag library in the Jelly project, or if it should be
> kept separate (perhaps in a SourceForge project).  Please consider the following:
>
> 1. This tag library would require Java 5.
> 2. Associated closely with this libarary would be the relevant implemenation classes for com.sun.mirror.apt.AnnotationProcessor and
> any other APT-specific classes.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Ryan

Bernard Shaw