Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Joshua Gregoire <jg...@kcc.edu> on 2010/03/09 17:58:07 UTC

Tomcat displays IP instead of DNS name

Hello All,

This is my first Tomcat install, so sorry if this is a dumb question.

Server Information
Windows Server Standard 2008 Service Pack 2 64bit
IIS Version 7.0.6000.16386
Tomcat Version 6.0.24 64 bit
Isapi_redirector 1.2.30 amd64

I have my site up and running in Tomcat.  I also have IIS sending requests to it, however, I can't get it to display the dns name.

Example
Type http://r18test2.kcc.edu brings up http://10.10.11.90:8080/WebAdvisor2/WebAdvisor2?

The site works correctly, just want it display the url (http://r18test2.kcc.edu/WebAdvisor2/WebAdvisor2?) and not the IP.  I'm sure I just have a configuration set wrong somewhere.  Any help or a link to a similar post would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Joshua Gregoire

Re: Tomcat displays IP instead of DNS name

Posted by Joshua Gregoire <jg...@kcc.edu>.
Will do and thanks again!!!

Joshua Gregoire wrote:
> First, thanks for your assistance with this, I appreciate the time
and
> effort.

No problem.  The people here are all volunteers, who try to help
because
they like doing this.  They also do it to the limit of their abilities.

Unfortunately my abilities in terms of IIS and the isapi-redirector are

limited, because I usually work with Apache and the mod_jk redirector.
But the isapi_redirector and mod_jk are two implementations of the same

basic module, so the principles should be the same.

> It's quite possible I'm using it wrong.

I thought so at first, but after this previous post, I think that at
least you have got some of the ideas correctly.
Just, I think, a bit mixed up.

Me too in this case, because there is a difference in terminology
between Microsoft/IIS (which tends to talk about "virtual directories"

and "sites"), and open-source software like Apache and Tomcat (which
tend to talk in terms of "hosts" and "roots" and "webapps").

> In IIS, I setup a site with root drive on
C:\inetpub\r18test2.kcc.edu
> and I created two virtual directories, 1 for the isapi dll called
> jakarta and another for the WebAdvisor2 folder in tomcat called
> WebAdvisor2.
I believe that there is something wrong here.  I think that this is one

too many.

I am assuming that, in the long run, you will want some static content

(html pages, images, etc..) to be served directly by IIS, and only the

links that invoke Java servlets (or JSP pages), to be "passed through"

to Tomcat via the redirector. (You will even at some point need 3
distinct Tomcats according to your explanation, but let's leave that
for
later).

The basic idea of the redirector in a case like this is :
- you tell IIS which requests it needs to hand over to the redirector
(based on some pattern in the URI), and which not.  This happens
through
configuration instructions in IIS.
The links which are /not/ redirected, are served locally by IIS.
The links which /are/ redirected are handed over by IIS to the
redirector.
- the redirector then passes the redirected HTTP requests to Tomcat,
over a special, private TCP/IP connection.  For that, the redirector
needs to know where this Tomcat is (host and port).  That is the role
of
the redirector's "workers.properties" configuration file. (The
redirector knows each back-end Tomcat as a "worker", from there the
name).
- Tomcat receives the request, and based on the request URI, directs
this request to one of the webapps that "run inside it".  In your case,

that is your "WebAdvisor2" webapp (a webapp is a collection of
servlets,
and in Tomcat's parlance it is also called a "context").
- The Tomcat webapp processes the request, generates a response, and
passes this response back to the redirector (via the special private
TCP/IP connection).
- the redirector then passes this response back to IIS, which passes it

to the browser (through the normal HTTP connection which the browser
has
with IIS).

The whole thing should be transparent to the user and his browser,
which
talks only to IIS over port 80, for all requests.
So the URLs seen by the browser should always be of the form
"http://r18test2.kcc.edu/..." (without the :8080).
And it is IIS which should decide, if it sees a portion "/WebAdvisor2"

in the URI, to pass this request (internally) to the redirector, which

will pass it to Tomcat for processing.
The redirector normally (in the vanilla standard configuration) passes

this request to Tomcat over TCP/IP port 8009 (not 8080).
And Tomcat (in its configuration file "server.xml") configures a
<Connector> of type "AJP", which listens on that port 8009 for such
requests coming from the IIS redirector.

So basically, what I am saying is that there should be no need to have
page on IIS which does a redirect of the browser to Tomcat.
The internal IIS+redirector configuration at the IIS level, should
already insure that any link that looks like containing "/WebAdvisor2",

is internally redirected to Tomcat and processed by Tomcat, and that
the
Tomcat response will come back from Tomcat through IIS and back to the

browser.

What I am also saying, is that if you see in the browser any link which

mentions port 8080, then it means that this link has not gone/is not
going through IIS and the redirector.  It is going directly to Tomcat.

If you look in Tomcat's server.xml file, you will see that it has (at
least) 2 <Connector>'s : one listening on port 8009 (for the redirector

in IIS, using a protocol called AJP); and another one listening on port

8080 for direct HTTP calls to Tomcat.
If the URL contains a ":8080", it means that this URL is "talking"
directly to Tomcat, and not to IIS and the redirector.

So, it looks so far like you missed something in the redirector
configuration for IIS.  Unfortunately, my ability to help there is not

so great, because I do not have a working IIS to try things with.

   If someone goes to http://r18test2.kcc.edu, you get the
> default doc in the C:\inetpub\r18test2.kcc.edu folder, which is where
> put the meta redirect. However, if you type
> http://r18test2.kcc.edu/WebAdvisor2/WebAdvisor2, you get redirected,
> I'm assuming through the isapi dll, to
> http://10.10.11.90:8080/WebAdvisor2/WebAdvisor2.  So it appeared to
> me that the isapi was working.  Does that make any sense?

It is not that it does not make sense.  It is just wrong, see above.
If the link contains ":8080", it probably does not mean anything
isapi-redirector-wise, because it does not go through IIS and the
redirector.
This just means that your Tomcat and your webapp are working, when the

browser talks directly to Tomcat via HTTP on port 8080.
Congratulations for the working Tomcat and webapp, but that is not what

you are trying to achieve right now, I think.

Practically now :
- re-read th configuration instructions for the isapi redirector,
because I believe that you may have one "virtual directory" too many.
- I believe that you should remove the automatic re-direction using the

refresh tag in the IIS page. It just confuses things.
- then you should try to access your server as follows :
http://r18test2.kcc.edu/WebAdvisor2

If your IIS+isapi_redirect is well-configured, you should get the first

page of your Tomcat webapp.
If that is not the case, let us know what you see.

Re: Tomcat displays IP instead of DNS name

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Joshua Gregoire wrote:
> [...]

to the browser (through the normal HTTP connection which the browser has
with IIS).

The whole thing should be transparent to the user and his browser, which
talks only to IIS over port 80, for all requests.
So the URLs seen by the browser should always be of the form
"http://r18test2.kcc.edu/..." (without the :8080).
And it is IIS which should decide, if it sees a portion "/WebAdvisor2"
in the URI, to pass this request (internally) to the redirector, which
will pass it to Tomcat for processing.
The redirector normally (in the vanilla standard configuration) passes
this request to Tomcat over TCP/IP port 8009 (not 8080).
And Tomcat (in its configuration file "server.xml") configures a
<Connector> of type "AJP", which listens on that port 8009 for such
requests coming from the IIS redirector.

So basically, what I am saying is that there should be no need to have a

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Christopher Schultz wrote:

> Joshua,
>
> On 3/9/2010 4:50 PM, Joshua Gregoire wrote:
>> <META HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" CONTENT="0;URL=http://r18test2.kcc.edu/WebAdvisor2/WebAdvisor2">
>
> That looks fine. I hadn't seen that you already posted this in another
> reply before I wrote mine. Sorry to duplicate effort.
>
>> The WebAdvisor2 app does do something behind the scenes once tomcat has it and the url ends up
>>
>> http://10.10.11.90:8080/WebAdvisor2/WebAdvisor2?TYPE=M&PID=CORE-WBMAIN&TOKENIDX=2044948188
>
> It looks like WebAdvisor2 is trying to build its own redirect URL and
> getting it all wrong. I would recommend contacting the authors of that
> product to see what you'll have to do to get this to work properly.

That may also be part of the problem.  I did not think of that, because
I thought that this webapp was "home-made", so that Joshua would know if
it did anything like that.

The URL also leads me to another doubt : it seems a bit strange to need
a "repeat" /WebAdvisor2/WebAdvisor2 in these URLs.  Are you sure that
the application is in the right place under Tomcat ?

Also, I checked the IIS installation and configuration instructions for
isapi_redirect,
http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/webserver_howto/iis.html
and I will confirm the following :
- the only "virtual directory" that should be necessary is the "jakarta"
one.
- the "mappings" that determine which URI's will cause IIS to redirect a
request through the isapi_redirector to Tomcat, are defined in the file
"uriworkermap.properties".  There should be two lines in there like
/WebAdvisor2=worker1
/WebAdvisor2/*=worker1
(replace worker1 by whatever your Tomcat worker is named in
workers.properties)

Next, I will differ somewhat from the instructions as given in the page
http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/webserver_howto/iis.html

If you add a second "virtual directory" to IIS, named "WebAdvisor2", and
map it to the disk directory where the files of the Tomcat webapp
"WebAdvisor2" reside, what you are doing is giving IIS direct access to
that disk directory.  That means that, in the absence of a very careful
configuration of IIS, you are allowing IIS to bypass any security
precautions of Tomcat, and go get (and return to the user) some files
that should be accessible (or not) only through Tomcat and your webapp.
For example, the file "web.xml" of that webapp (normally located under
tomcat_dir/webapps/WebAdvisor2/WEB-INF) may contain setup parameters of
the webapp which you do not want a user to see (like passwords).
That is why Tomcat itself, will never allow a user to request any file
which resides in the WEB-INF subdirectory.
But by creating that second virtual directory under IIS, you could allow
a user to request the URI "/WebAdvisor2/WEB-INF/web.xml" and obtain the
content of that file in his browser, directly from IIS (Tomcat would
never know).
This is not a good idea in general.

Re: Tomcat displays IP instead of DNS name

Posted by Joshua Gregoire <jg...@kcc.edu>.
Hey Chris,

That triggered a thought and I got it working.  I had to make a change in our database application that this webapp communicates with and now I'm up and running.  Thanks again to you and Andre for all your help!!

Josh

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Tomcat displays IP instead of DNS name

Posted by Joshua Gregoire <jg...@kcc.edu>.
Hey Chris,

Here is the code for the meta redirect.

I would love to tell you what it does, however, this is a purchased product and we don't have access to the code.  Also, I can skip the meta redirect step and just type http://r18test2.kcc.edu/WebAdvisor2/WebAdvisor2 and I get the exact same result.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Tomcat displays IP instead of DNS name

Posted by Joshua Gregoire <jg...@kcc.edu>.

WebAdvisor2.  If someone goes to http://r18test2.kcc.edu, you get the

André Warnier wrote:
> Joshua Gregoire wrote:
>> r18test2.kcc.edu brings me to the root drectory of the site in IIS.
>> have a redirect set on the default page in IIS to go to
>> http://r18test2.kcc.edu/WebAdvisor2/WebAdvisor2
> The url in the
>> browser then changes to
http://10.10.11.90:8080/WebAdvisor2/WebAdvisor2

> The first question is then : if you are anyway redirecting everything
> Tomcat, why do you need to have IIS in front ?
> Why not just set Tomcat to answer port 80, and get rid of IIS ?
>
> The second item is :
> In the URL bar, the browser displays what its own idea is, about
where
> it got the current page from.
> The same, just in other words : nothing which the server sends to the

> browser, is displayed in the browser's URL box.
> The same again, in yet other words : try to create a page on the
server
> which writes something into the browser's URL bar. Or rather, don't
try,
> because you would be losing your time : you can't.  The server does
not
> have access to the browser's URL bar.
>
> So, the fact that the browser's URL bar displays "10.10.11.90" is due
> the fact that the browser obtains the current page from the host
named
> "10.10.11.90".  And the one thing that can tell it to get the page
from
> there, is the redirect response from IIS.  Concentrate on that one.
> How /exactly/ do you do this redirect from the IIS homepage to the
> Tomcat server ?

Something else strikes me (and I wonder why it did not before) :
You say that you have IIS + the isapi_redirector, to connect IIS to
Tomcat.
But if you really "redirect" calls to the homepage of IIS, to Tomcat's

port 8080, you are not using the isapi redirector at all.  You are just

"bouncing off" once from the IIS homepage, and all the rest happens
directly between the browser and Tomcat, on port 8080.
Something tells me that you are not quite using this kind of setup as
it
is meant to be used.

Re: Tomcat displays IP instead of DNS name

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Joshua Gregoire <jg...@kcc.edu>.
Question 1: Not sure this server will always be used for just this site.
Also, we will have three versions of this site on the server.  1 will be
production other two will be test instances.  Wasn't sure how tomcat
handled multiple sites with multiple domain names.

Question 2: The redirect is done with a meta refresh.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Joshua Gregoire <jg...@kcc.edu>.
r18test2.kcc.edu brings me to the root drectory of the site in IIS. I
have a redirect set on the default page in IIS to go to
http://r18test2.kcc.edu/WebAdvisor2/WebAdvisor2  The url in the
browser then changes to http://10.10.11.90:8080/WebAdvisor2/WebAdvisor2
The uriworkermap.properties is set to /WebAdvisor2/*

Joshua Gregoire wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> This is my first Tomcat install, so sorry if this is a dumb
question.

> Server Information
> Windows Server Standard 2008 Service Pack 2 64bit
> IIS Version 7.0.6000.16386
> Tomcat Version 6.0.24 64 bit
> Isapi_redirector 1.2.30 amd64

Thank you for specifying this.

> I have my site up and running in Tomcat.  I also have IIS sending
requests to it, however, I can't get it to display the dns name.

> Example
> Type http://r18test2.kcc.edu brings up
http://10.10.11.90:8080/WebAdvisor2/WebAdvisor2?

> The site works correctly, just want it display the url
(http://r18test2.kcc.edu/WebAdvisor2/WebAdvisor2?) and not the IP.
I'm sure I just have a configuration set wrong somewhere.  Any help or a
link to a similar post would be much appreciated!

Just so that we understand exactly what is going on : /where/ does it
bring back this address ?

Re: Tomcat displays IP instead of DNS name

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.