Posted to dev@nuttx.apache.org by Brennan Ashton <ba...@brennanashton.com> on 2019/12/11 17:46:53 UTC

NuttX Documentation (was Apache Email List)

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019, 9:28 AM Alan Carvalho de Assis <ac...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Greg,
>
> On 12/11/19, Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> (3) Start a NuttX Documentation Team within the Apache NuttX project.
> >> Anyone can participate, of course. This team's job is to pick Greg's
> >> brain, search through the groups for those tidbits, organize the
> >> project's documentation, fill in the missing pieces, and in general to
> >> create world-class documentation for NuttX.
> >
> > There was a git-book started on gitlab some years ago, it never went
> > very far.  Ben has recently started working on a NuttX book (see the
> > nuttxbook channel on Slack).  But both are "getting started" for newbies
> > and focused on specific hardware.  That is of use to some people
> > (nebies), but not of much use to others.
> >
> > No one has had the wherewithal to attempt a true NuttX book cover the
> > architecture, interfaces, structures, and theory of operation of the
> > OS.  That is the kind of thing that is posted in the Wiki. I would
> > really like to see a NuttX book with a grander vision, something more
> > like the famous uC/OS-II book.  Look at the table of contents here:
> > https://www.amazon.com/MicroC-OS-II-Kernel-CD-ROM/dp/1578201039 The
> > HowTo stuff for newbies is just one chapter, then it is followed by very
> > good reference material for the most experienced.
> >
> > That would be a wonderful project for a larger group of people.
> >

> Yes a book covering how NuttX works internally, describing the memory
> allocation, scheduler, boot process, etc, will be very useful.
>
> Also we need a intermediate book for people willing to develop kernel
> drivers for NuttX, similar to the Linux Device Drivers:
> https://lwn.net/Kernel/LDD3/
>
> I think the newbie book will be a good start point, it will cover in
> more details the tutorials for beginners that we have.
>
> About the other two books we need to think who and how to work on it.
> Few developers know about all the details of NuttX, normally we have
> people working an specific subsystems of NuttX. For the device drivers
> it is easier because we have many people with experiences on it.

This is actually an area where the Rust team has done an amazing job. There
are several books both online and sometimes print that are up-to-date,
covering both the intro and domain specific topics.

https://doc.rust-lang.org/book/
https://doc.rust-lang.org/rust-by-example/
https://rust-cli.github.io/book/
https://rust-embedded.github.io/book/

If someone wanted to lead such and effort I would be happy to contribute,
but this is really a massive undertaking. I suspect such an effort would
have a side effect of cleaning up some inconsistentcies around drivers and
boards in the code base as well.

Also Greg thanks for reminding me of the uC/OS-II book from my college
days. Great self teaching book not just for the OS but also the topic.

--Brennan

Re: [nuttx] NuttX Documentation (was Apache Email List)

Posted by Adam Feuer <ad...@starcat.io>.
I'm also interested to help with the books, especially the driver book– I'm
starting learn how to write NuttX drivers myself now as I'm interested in
getting some Wifi and BLE drivers working for my SAMA5D27 project.

-adam

--
Adam Feuer <ad...@starcat.io>