Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Anshum Gupta <an...@anshumgupta.net> on 2016/05/06 08:13:20 UTC

5.5.1 - addVersion.py

Hi,

Does anyone know if addVersion should have been run on master, 6x, and 6.0
for the 5.5.1 release?
The Version.java on master has no mention of any 5x release so I am not
sure if that is by design and we're not supposed to track the versions on
master for (Latest - 2) versions.

--
Anshum Gupta

Re: 5.5.1 - addVersion.py

Posted by Anshum Gupta <an...@anshumgupta.net>.
Thanks for reminding me of that Mike :). I've committed the back-compat
index to 5x.

@Steve: That makes sense, though I am skipping using the script as we don't
need anything but addition to Version.java, so that we could add the
back-compat indexes for 5.5.1 to branch_6x and branch_6_0. I'm manually
adding those.

I am not sure if we want a 5.5.1 section on master, 6x, and 6.0. If we do
add that, we should just duplicate the issues in 5.5.1 section and not
remove them from the later sections as 6.0 is already out.

Here's what I'm doing right now (some of it is already done):
* Added 5.5.1 index to branch_5_5, branch_5x, branch_6x, and branch_6_0
* Run addVersion.py on branch_5_5, and branch_5x.
* Add version in Version.java manually to branch_6x, and branch_6_0.

Let me know if you think I missed something here.

Also, as soon as I get time I'll try and work on the releaseToDo doc as it
seems to be a lot out of sync. I don't think we need to spend time to work
on documenting releases like 5.5.1 but even the regular release
documentation is off.

On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 6:17 AM, Steve Rowe <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Anshum,
>
> For the 5.5.1 release, addVersion.py should be run on branch_6_0 and
> branch_6x.
>
> On master, where 6.0 is the oldest supported version, addVersion.py
> shouldn’t be run for any version less than 6.0.  This is by design - see
> Mike’s commit removing the 5.x constants on master after LATEST became 7.0:
> <
> http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=lucene-solr.git;a=blobdiff;f=lucene/core/src/java/org/apache/lucene/util/Version.java;hb=ddbeb2a6;hpb=5fbee204
> >

> --
> Steve
> www.lucidworks.com
>
> > On May 6, 2016, at 4:13 AM, Anshum Gupta <an...@anshumgupta.net> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Does anyone know if addVersion should have been run on master, 6x, and
> 6.0 for the 5.5.1 release?
> > The Version.java on master has no mention of any 5x release so I am not
> sure if that is by design and we're not supposed to track the versions on
> master for (Latest - 2) versions.
> >
> > --
> > Anshum Gupta

Anshum Gupta

Re: 5.5.1 - addVersion.py

Posted by Steve Rowe <sa...@gmail.com>.
Anshum,

Re: 5.5.1 - addVersion.py

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
Hi Anshum,

I think the root cause here is that Version.java on the 5.x branch is
missing a 5.6.0 constant, and LATEST should point to that, which would then
make TestBackCompat happy that it's seeing a 5.5.1 index?

Thank you for doing the release!

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

Re: 5.5.1 - addVersion.py