Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Joel Rees <jo...@alpsgiken.gr.jp> on 2002/08/16 11:47:16 UTC

[FRIDAY] Persistence

I usually miss out on these Friday threads. (Different time zone. It's
Saturday for me when you guys have all your fun.) This time I missed it
by a whole week because we were all on vacation, dancing with the dead,
so to speak.

But I just have to contribute to this one.

My high school industrial-ed class built an Altair 8800 and used a
borrowed teletype/papertape.

I still have a 6802 prototyping kit. (Okay, it's a couple thousand miles
away.) I hand-wired 32K dRAMs onto it. Got a TRS-80 Color Computer, with
effectively the same video controller, several years later.

Used a UNIVAC 1100 at college, can't remember the model number. Had a 36
bit word. We all celebrated when the college got a 100M hard disk and
started giving the students accounts with a 4k-word workspace. If we
wanted backup, they had an on-line card punch.

And we all assumed that 20 years was plenty of time to prepare for y2k.

> Apparrently some VERY persistent memories though  ;-}

Back then, I could not _imagine_ what I'd do with 64k of RAM. But I
didn't think I'd want anyone _else's_ code running in it ...

--
Joel Rees <jo...@alpsgiken.gr.jp>

RE: [FRIDAY] Persistence

Posted by Andrew Hill <an...@gridnode.com>.
I too have to put up with the Friday threads being on Saturday. Guess its
lucky Im so busy I usually have to come in on weekends too to get it all
done... <sigh/>

Our BBC Micro network when I was in school had a fileserver with a harddisk
on which we were allocated 20k. Following some experimentation I found a
neat trick to get more...
Like many far more advanced network filesystems, this one (Econet) allowed
you to set read and write permissions for your files. I found that if a user
was appending to a file owned by another user, it would come out of their
allowance and not the file owners, but when the owner deleted the file guess
whos account the size would be credited to...
A few programs with suitably interesting names and public read permission
later I had a few hundred K to play with. You would be surprised how long
ppl would wait back then for a graphical splashscreen with a 'loading...'
prompt. ;-)

Hehe. The Beebs also had some neat tricks you could do over the network to
unsuspecting (l)users, but thats another story.

--
Joel Rees <jo...@alpsgiken.gr.jp>