Posted to dev@bloodhound.apache.org by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com> on 2012/08/02 03:31:43 UTC

CI and virtualenv (Was: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Bloodhound 0.1.0 (incubating) (RC1))

On 02/08/12 01:57, Olemis Lang wrote:
> On 8/1/12, Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com> wrote:
>> On 30/07/12 12:48, Joachim Dreimann wrote:
>>> Just for the record, I have downloaded reviewed the files to my technical
>>> ability.
>>>
>>> +1 for the release from me.
>>>
> I second that . The only thing I can mention is that even if manual
> installation procedure works for me , on the other hand all the
> attempts I made so as to install it from tarball in a Jenkins build
> job have failed . This is mainly because :
>
> 1. I'm not a proficient Jenkins user ...
> 2. it seems there's an issue with virtualenv somewhere and ...
> 3. I've not been able to dedicate any time to this task after the
>      few initial experiments

I appear to have been able to get things going with Buildbot with the
virtualenv instructions, although I am not convinced that you can really
activate the virtualenv in a buildstep. I didn't try this and instead
resorted to a bit of trickery through which python binary was used after
virtualenv creation.

To be fair, there is no specific need to use virtualenv, as long as you
have a fresh environment each time. My attempts so far have not been
with throwaway VMs. Of course, I am sure that there will be other ways
to isolate a python environment.

Cheers,
     Gary

Re: CI and virtualenv (Was: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Bloodhound 0.1.0 (incubating) (RC1))

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
oops !

        (http://hudson.testrun.org/job/bh-trac-test/45/console)

On 8/5/12, Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/5/12, Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 8/5/12, Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com> wrote:
>>
> [...]
>>
>>> If you
>>> don't have an appropriate path for a local repository it probably is not
>>> worth specifying either option.
>>>

>> I c ... I'll try again and let you know .
>
> bingo !
> works ok without repos options [1]_
> thnx !
> ;)
>
>> Nonetheless , afaics , that
>> should work due to the fact that those values are the ones used in
>> trac-admin initenv interactive console as well as trac.ini to specify
>> «no repository» .
>>

> I think maybe there's a chance to get this done for Release 2 ... ?
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Olemis.

> Featured article:

Olemis.

Blog ES: http://simelo-es.blogspot.com/
Blog EN: http://simelo-en.blogspot.com/

Featured article:

Re: CI and virtualenv (Was: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Bloodhound 0.1.0 (incubating) (RC1))

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.
On 08/06/2012 03:50 AM, Olemis Lang wrote:
>> Nonetheless , afaics , that
>> should work due to the fact that those values are the ones used in
>> trac-admin initenv interactive console as well as trac.ini to specify
>> «no repository» .
>>
> I think maybe there's a chance to get this done for Release 2 ... ?

Well, as far as I can tell, no, this is not valid input to the
trac-admin initenv command and it requires both positional arguments.

As a bug, it may well get fixed for the next release. I'll probably just
make it silently drop any repo type specification when there is no path
specified.

For the other symmetric failure (no repo type specified but a path
provided), there may be a potential to detect what the repository type
is but for the moment I think I will choose failure with an informative
message.

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
On 8/5/12, Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> Hi Olemis,

:)

> Remember that my alteration to your patch meant that the positional
> arguments for an initenv remain unchanged so that should not be the issue.

you are right . I forgot
:-/

> I think I have spotted the most likely reason for the error you see.
> Although it is not clear what arguments you are passing to the
> bloodhound_setup.py,

it's something like this

{{{
#!python

call([python, 'bloodhound_setup.py',
            '-d', 'sqlite',
            '--admin-password=testrun', '--admin-user=bhadmin',
            '--repository-type=svn', '--repository-path='],
        cwd=folder_installer, env=ENVIRONMENT)

}}}

> I think you might be specifying either the
> repository type or repository path.

yes

> I see that the logic around that is
> a little suspect in that there is no check to see if only one of these
> is provided.

I'm supplying both but repository path is empty. That usually means
«no repository»

> I will add a check for that at some point but could you check if you
> pass either the --repository-type or --repository-path options.

yes , both

> If you
> don't have an appropriate path for a local repository it probably is not
> worth specifying either option.

I c ... I'll try again and let you know . Nonetheless , afaics , that

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.
Hi Olemis,

Remember that my alteration to your patch meant that the positional
arguments for an initenv remain unchanged so that should not be the issue.

I think I have spotted the most likely reason for the error you see.
Although it is not clear what arguments you are passing to the
bloodhound_setup.py, I think you might be specifying either the
repository type or repository path. I see that the logic around that is
a little suspect in that there is no check to see if only one of these
is provided.

I will add a check for that at some point but could you check if you
pass either the --repository-type or --repository-path options. If you

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
u r a genius !

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.
Greg,