Posted to dev@kudu.apache.org by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com> on 2016/04/25 20:00:59 UTC

Moving gerrit traffic to a new list

We discussed this a month or two ago but I've been delinquent in pushing
this forward. We all seemed to agree that it would be good to move the
gerrit traffic off of dev@ so that the list is easier to subscribe to and
follow for newcomers who might not be interested in every revision of every
patch in flight (100+ emails/week). But, we didn't quite settle where to
move it *to*.

There were two options:

1) use the existing issues@ list
2) use a new reviews@ list

My preference is towards using issues@ because oftentimes when someone is
fixing a bug or making a small improvement, they don't necessarily create a
new JIRA. So, I'm not sure why someone would want to subscribe to just JIRA
but not gerrit (or vice versa). Given that Gerrit already provides an easy
filtering mechanism (eg 'kudu-cr' in the subject line) people can always
separate them back out.

Adar mentioned that he prefers reviews@ to be more 'consistent', though
I'll let him pipe up with his rationale.

I don't think we need a formal vote, but opinions solicited! Would be great
to wrap this up this week so we can report the progress back on our
upcoming podling report.

-Todd

Re: Moving gerrit traffic to a new list

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
Turns out the JIRA wasn't the right place... but I filed an 'mlreq' form,
and now waiting on infra. Someone on IRC #asf told me "expect some delays",
so perhaps some of the people in charge of mailing list creation are on
vacation or somesuch. EIther way, we should expect a new mailing list "some
time soon". When it shows up I'll change the gerrit configuration and let
everyone know so they can subscribe.

-Todd

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
OK, I filed