Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> on 2010/12/15 17:32:58 UTC

website (Re: Apache processes status)

On 15/12/2010 09:17, Ian Dickinson wrote:
> On 14/12/10 20:05, Andy Seaborne wrote:
>> Here is an attempt to summarise all the non-technical strands going on
>> at the moment.
>>
>> The bootstrap process is described
>>
>> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html#bootstrap
>>
>> == new web site
>>
>> Could someone volunteer to own&investigate this?
> So volunteered.

In addition to the notes in the issue tracker you might want to consider
using the new Apache CMS. Bertrand, who is one of our mentors, wrote a
nice "how to" for Stanbol which can be seen at
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/stanbol/site/trunk/WEBSITE-HOWTO.txt

Having worked with the various other methods available here at the ASF
my recommendation would be to use that. Other systems are either user
friendly but inflexible (e.g. Confluence) or very flexible but user
unfriendly (e.g. Forrest).

Ross

Re: website (Re: Apache processes status)

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 4:32 PM, Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> wrote:
> In addition to the notes in the issue tracker you might want to consider
> using the new Apache CMS. Bertrand, who is one of our mentors, wrote a nice
> "how to" for Stanbol which can be seen at
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/stanbol/site/trunk/WEBSITE-HOWTO.txt

What's missing there is how to get things actually set up. I looked at
infra-dev@. Looks like:

1) create directory
    http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/jena/site/trunk
2) put inside directory some markdown data (stealing from stanbol is
probably fair game :) ), you should
3) file jira (example: INFRA-3181) to get staging CMS turned on
4) make site
5) look at website, iterate until you like it

I may have time to do some of this stuff later this afternoon, since I
sort of get how it works now (may help infra do the docs, too...).

- Leo

PS: also see http://wiki.apache.org/general/ApacheCms2010 which
provides more background and some examples (or links to).