Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Sander Striker <st...@apache.org> on 2002/05/24 08:47:28 UTC

Tagging 2.0.37

Hi,

What about tagging the tree on monday?
Thoughts?

Sander

Re: Tagging 2.0.37

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@attglobal.net>.
"William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> writes:

> I presume the -k patch... since
>
>    apache -k start -n apache2
>
> dumps the usage message.  Forget about a Monday tag, folks.
> Late in the week, perhaps?

What are are you referring to?  A bug?  Seen on Windows only?  Do you
suspect a problem with the -k support added to the Unix MPMs (should
not have touched any Win32 path except for the lookup of an optional
function in main(), which would have failed for non-Unix right now).

(ready to fix if I broke something, but currently perplexed)

--
Jeff Trawick | trawick@attglobal.net
Born in Roswell... married an alien...

Re: Tagging 2.0.37

Posted by Bill Stoddard <bi...@wstoddard.com>.
Dumping the usage_message because the argv/argc returned from mpm_rewrite_args has argc=4
but there is no 4th argument on argv.  The 4th arg is being pulled from the registry:

System/CurrentControlSet/apache2/ConfigArgs.  ConfigArgs key exists but it has no value
associated with it and I suspect this is the problem

Bill

Re: Tagging 2.0.37

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
At 09:07 PM 5/25/2002, you wrote:

>Okay, I know there are still things that need to go in prior to 2.0.37,
>but I also know that HEAD is currently nice and stable, at least on Unix.
>So in order to start working toward a release without holding up any other
>work, I've tagged the tree as JCW_PRE_2037.  We'll tag in changes to HEAD
>as necessary and aim to retag the result as 2.0.37 on, say, Wednesday or
>Thursday.

FWIW... we still don't start with CVS HEAD on Win32.  We begin to start
and then choke [implying we are past the arg parsing bugs].

This will take some looking at.  [It could be my tree or config.]

Re: Tagging 2.0.37

Posted by Ian Holsman <ia...@apache.org>.
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On Sat, May 25, 2002 at 10:07:54PM -0400, Cliff Woolley wrote:
>
>>Okay, I know there are still things that need to go in prior to 2.0.37,
>>but I also know that HEAD is currently nice and stable, at least on Unix.
>>So in order to start working toward a release without holding up any other
>>work, I've tagged the tree as JCW_PRE_2037.  We'll tag in changes to HEAD
>>as necessary and aim to retag the result as 2.0.37 on, say, Wednesday or
>>Thursday.
>

> I think the mod_deflate issue needs to be resolved before 2.0.37.
> You and Greg already addressed why that commit should be reverted.

I disagree.
the commit doesn't fix the entire problem, but it is much better than
what was there before.
beforehand it would completly ignore what was in the content-encoding
header and just replace it with gzip.

now it takes a more conservative approach (although not 100% correct)
and if it finds something already in there it just doesn't compress the
file (which is ALWAYS a valid option for the module)

I agree that it should make a special case for the 'identity'
content-encoding and let that go through

--Ian

Re: Tagging 2.0.37

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.

Re: Tagging 2.0.37

Re: Tagging 2.0.37

Posted by Bill Stoddard <bi...@wstoddard.com>.

> [...]
> >
> >Bill, before you run off, what is the ConfigArgs registry key about?
>
> Not going anywhere, overwhelmed with this weeks work-work which will
> end up throwing away my holiday weekend.  Sorry if I didn't come across
> very friendly-like.
>
> On Windows, our command line argument is nothing but -k runservice.
> Not very interesting.  We maintain our list of command line arguments
> in a registry key of type REG_MULTI_SZ, meaning each 'arg' is a null
> terminated part of the list of args [the end being double-null terminated,
> although since the entire char[] has a known length, it's redundant.]
>
> So -d is one argument, "c:\Apache2" is the next arg, etc, and they look
> like this;
>
> "-d\0c:\\Apache2\0-f\0c:\\Apache2\\conf\\httpd.conf\0"
>
> Or some such.  Every time we use -k config we modify that array.
>
> When the SCM starts, we read and use those args, plus any arguments
> that were passed to the StartService() call (such as typing them in the
> 'optional parameters' field on the service property page, and clicking start.)
>
> > > There are four other boffo bugs I'd like to have a chance to look at before
> > > inflicting .37 on the world:
> > >
> > > 1. Fix apr_file_read() so that we don't crash on the first read in
> > rotatelogs.
> > >     Win32's implementation appears to have been borked in overeagerness
> > >     to work around unusual read cases - we can't handle the simple ones.
> > >
> > > 2. Fix WinNT MPM to use apr_thread_create/apr_proc_create.  The former
> > >     is a simple fix, the later is required for folks who install Apache to
> > > a non-
> > >     ASCII file path or who pass non-ASCII arguments on the command line.
> > >     It's the last I18N hassle in Apache2.  Essentially, I'm getting
> > sick of us
> > >     not eating our own dogfood ... those MS munchies may taste better, but
> > >     where does it leave us?
> >
> >This is not a release show stopper
>
> For non-US directory names, it is.  But I won't hold up .37 over this...
> although I'm
> likely to fix that code before attacking any issue except for 1.  It would
> be part of
> the obvious fix for 3 as well...
>
> > > 3. Fix thread setup/teardown on winnt mpm.  We are using non-threadsafe
> > >     threadcount incr/dec operations.  I've seen it deadlock with six
> > 'running
> > >     threads' when no threads were left, and while it might be a quirk, we
> > >     really need to address it.
> >
> >Looks easy enough to fix. I'll do it now. I have never seen a problem with
> >the code as it
> >is (though I agree it is not correct as is.) How do you recreate this?
>
> In the devstudio 7.0 environment.  As I say, I've tripped over it once
> after running
> httpd at least 4,000 times this week in new module development.  It's a very
> small race.
>
> apr_thread_join would eliminate the bug entirely, c.f. number 2.

thread_join is -way- too big a hammer IMHO. I just checked in a fix which should work just
as well. Thanks for the info.

Bill

Re: Tagging 2.0.37

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
At 11:30 AM 5/24/2002, you wrote:

> [...]

the obvious fix for 3 as well...

> > 3. Fix thread setup/teardown on winnt mpm.  We are using non-threadsafe
> >     threadcount incr/dec operations.  I've seen it deadlock with six
> 'running
> >     threads' when no threads were left, and while it might be a quirk, we
> >     really need to address it.
>
>Looks easy enough to fix. I'll do it now. I have never seen a problem with
>the code as it
>is (though I agree it is not correct as is.) How do you recreate this?

In the devstudio 7.0 environment.  As I say, I've tripped over it once
after running
httpd at least 4,000 times this week in new module development.  It's a very
small race.

apr_thread_join would eliminate the bug entirely, c.f. number 2.

> > 4. Cruft in apr-util that exports undecorated names from apr_strmatch.

5. I forgot a biggy on Allen's and other folks' lists - FIX the CWD!

That's trickier in that we need to change CWD every time we hit a ServerRoot
directive to do this right.  I'll simply wrap that in an #ifdef WIN32 and
we can
wage the rest of this battle later, since noone in the Unix world sees a
benefit
in changing the cwd.

I can't imagine that OS2 wouldn't benefit from the same behavior, though.

Bill

Re: Tagging 2.0.37

Posted by Bill Stoddard <bi...@wstoddard.com>.

Re: Tagging 2.0.37

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
I presume the -k patch... since

Re: Tagging 2.0.37

Posted by Bill Stoddard <bi...@wstoddard.com>.

Posted by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>.
On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 08:12:18AM -0700, Ian Holsman wrote:
> Can you wait until we make sure that brian's patch fixes it?
> I would also like to see the hi-free apr-pool patch in as well

I'm -0.9 on the hi-free patch unless we can get some performance
numbers. But, I don't think the hi-free patch would prevent me
from voting for a release.

-aaron

Re: Tagging 2.0.37

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
"Ian Holsman" <ia...@apache.org> wrote:

> Sander Striker wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> What about tagging the tree on monday?
>> Thoughts?
>>
> FWIW the worker MPM in 2.0.36 is broken and will deadlock under high loads.
>
> Can you wait until we make sure that brian's patch fixes it?
> I would also like to see the hi-free apr-pool patch in as well

I can set it up on Nagoya, but up until now, we never hit that much load to
make 2.0.36 die... Will do it tomorrow...

    Pier

Re: Tagging 2.0.37

Posted by Ian Holsman <ia...@apache.org>.

Re: Tagging 2.0.37

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@attglobal.net>.
"Sander Striker" <st...@apache.org> writes:

> What about tagging the tree on monday?
> Thoughts?

Maybe first somebody can come up with a better name for the
"ap_signal_server" optional function which I added very recently.  I
didn't want to hold up the code until the naming police straightened
it out, yet it feels a bit unclean to be releasing as an API.
(Where's Greg when you need him?)