Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Rees Watkins <ga...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2009/01/10 20:28:25 UTC

financial accounts

Hi

I am trying to figure out financial accounts in ofbiz. I have not been able to find any examples or explanations. Does anyone have any resource they can share on how these work?

Thank you
Rees

Re: financial accounts

Posted by Sharan-F <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rees

I responded to someone that asked a similar question on the mailing list a
few months ago. Here's the link to that:

http://www.nabble.com/forum/ViewPost.jtp?post=20353472&framed=y

I also volunteered to have a go a putting together some documentation on
accounting on the Wiki. It's a work in progress but here's the link to the
Financial Accounts bit so far.

http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBIZ/06+Financial+Accounts

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Sharan

Re: Financial Accounts & Billing Accounts

Posted by Milind Parikh <mi...@gmail.com>.
I believe that David's points are right on (obviously; because he has been
on this for so long that he can recite in his sleep).  But a specific
example will help.

Customer Balances are a great example. If I were running a service center
(as an operations person), I couldn't care less about Customer Balances; but
would be interested in how many service requests were closed. ofBiz is a
great framework to work with; but with a frameworks, you get the raw marble.
You still have to chisel it to make a Michael Angelo.

Ok. So for now, let's assume that you are in the financial sector; where you
decide that customer balances are critical. Please note that you are making
this choice (criticalness of the data). How do you decide how to update
balances on payments? Are you a NGO that decides not to charge interest on
certain types of loans to certain customers? In which case, all payments
goes to paying back the principal. Are you a for-profit bank that holds a
fixed-rate mortage for an individual? In which case, part of the money goes
to paying the interest and part of it goes to paying the prinicpal and that
each month, this amount is slightly different even with a fixed monthly
payment.

So as you can see, ofBiz can cater to a lot of different needs. Your needs
are specific to one type of industry. As with marble, you can make ofBiz
your own.

Regards
-- Milind

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On Jan 23, 2009, at 1:44 AM, Wicus wrote:

> David,
>
> Going out on limb here... %-O
>
> Is it save to say, that both the Billing and Financial Accounts are
> "optional extras"...? Not crucial in the workings of OFBiz for a
> production
> setup...?

Yes, I suppose that is true. Of course, that is true of every part of
OFBiz. Technically everything is optional, it just depends on what the
end-user organization needs and wants. For some organizations these
would not be optional at all and would be critical functionality, and
for others they wouldn't matter.

However, you might be surprised at how often the need for these comes
up. The only to tell is with thorough analysis and design...

> P.S. David, you remind me of one of my tertiary lecturers (Not meant
> in a
> bad way)

If that's the case, at the very least my comments should be a good
sleep aid. ;)

-David

Re: Financial Accounts & Billing Accounts

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Sharan,

It looks like you've put together some pretty good material in the wiki:

http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBIZ/06+Financial+Accounts
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBIZ/05+Billing+Accounts

And this old page might be useful too:

http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBIZ/Billing+Account

Wicus,

I'm honestly not sure what more can be said!

Perhaps the most important thing to do is step back, and recognize
that Financial Accounts and Billing Account have NOTHING TO DO WITH
EACHOTHER! They aren't really similar in any way. The different uses
of them are listed pretty well in Sharan's pages.

-David

Posted by Sharan-F <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Wicus

Posted by Wicus <wi...@webmail.co.za>.
Sharan, Jacques and Rees,

As I have been pondering over the "Billing Accounts" and "Financial
Accounts" relationship within OFBiz, the following has come to mind.
:confused:

With another Accounting Package we reviewed, PASTEL EVOLUTION, I noticed
that should one do a debtors invoice, it will be posted within the DEBTORS
MODULE (specific debtor's account) on the debit side, WHILST a corresponding
debit will be made in the General Ledger's RECEIVABLES CONTROL account.
(Please Note: This is NOT a CONTRA entry)

Exactly the same operation will happen with a creditor's transaction, yet
all on the credit side of the T accounts. (Creditors Module with specific
account will cause a credit entry, with a credit entry in the General Ledger
ACCOUNTS PAYABLE control account)

Would I be correct in stating that OFBiz does not distinguise between a
DEBTORS and CREDITORS module, yet uses the BILLING ACCOUNT feature in this
same principle....?   :-)

                                                :sleep:

As I noticed from Sharan's notes on the wiki, the FINANCIAL ACCOUNTS ONLY
allows DEPOSITS, WITHDRAWALS and ADJUSTMENTS type transactions....

This sounds to me like a classic example of BANK accounts (albeit Cash
Books)

Therefore, for each party, being a company within OFBiz, under our control,
we (OFBiz) MUST configure at least one FINANCIAL ACCOUNT for that specific
party (company)....

The above statement does not sound very sound to me, especially when
referring to your "NOTES" under point 2 with the Definition of Financial
Accounts..... More clarity would be appreciated here ...

I hope I haven't tired to many eyes with this post, yet should another gain
from it, it's worth the tired fingers :jumping:

Thanks

Re: Financial Accounts & Billing Accounts

Re: financial accounts

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Wiki : http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBIZ/06+Financial+Accounts, thanks to Sharan

Jacques