Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Diego Castillo <di...@inexbee.com> on 2002/02/14 17:35:46 UTC

James as a mail proxy

Hi all,

I am new to James and have spent some time reading the documentation and
the mail archives, but unfortunately I have not found the answer to my
question.

My scenario is as follows:
I have an application that sends mail to undetermined recipients via my
ISP mail server. I need to *make up* the content of some mails before
they reach my ISP, but I can't do this by modifying or configuring the
application.

Basically, the idea would be to:
1. Install James close to my application.
2. Set my application to use James as SMTP server.
3. Use the Mailet API to intercept outgoing mails and perform the
content transformation I require (e.g. HTML -> text).
4. Set James so that it forwards the resulting mail to my ISP's SMTP
server.

Is this scenario feasible?

All suggestions are welcome!

Diego

RE: James as a mail proxy

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
yes it is, thats exactly the kind of thing james is good at :-)