Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Irmund Thum <it...@it97.dyn.dhs.org> on 2002/08/01 20:22:43 UTC

Re: New style/de.xml

Astrid Keßler wrote:

> "Freigabe" instead. Does anyone has a better suggestion?
>
> Kess

Ueberschreiben -
die Anweisung Override in Verbindung mit bestimmten Unter-Anweisungen
ueberschreibt vorher (in hoeheren Stockwerken) gesetzte Anweisungen auf
lokaler Basis...

i.t

--
_ ___

Re: New style/de.xml -override, overwrite

Posted by Astrid Keßler <ke...@kess-net.de>.
> ich würd auch eher zu "Überschreiben" tendieren, da es meiner Meinung nach
> den Sinn am besten trifft. Weiterhin können weit mehr User etwas mit dem
> Wort
> "überschreiben" anfangen als mit referenziert.

*hmpf* sorry all, my mistake. I've mixed to different discussions and
did not mark this clearly:

"Ueberschreiben" is a suggestion for Override. Therefore we lately suggested
"AllowOverride", a not-translation. And I still think, "ueberschreiben"
suggests "This directive overwrites AuthConfig (e.g.)" and not, "With
AllowOverride AuthConfig you are allowed to use this directive within a
.htaccess file to overwrite previous settings".

"referenziert" is the suggestion for related modules/directives, not for
Override.

Kess

Re: New style/de.xml -override, overwrite

Posted by Christina Fischer <vo...@nidura.de>.
ich würd auch eher zu "Überschreiben" tendieren, da es meiner Meinung nach
den Sinn am besten trifft. Weiterhin können weit mehr User etwas mit dem
Wort
"überschreiben" anfangen als mit referenziert.

--
Volker

Posted by Irmund Thum <it...@it97.dyn.dhs.org>.
Astrid Keßler wrote:
>>Ueberschreiben -
>>die Anweisung Override in Verbindung mit bestimmten Unter-Anweisungen
>>ueberschreibt vorher (in hoeheren Stockwerken) gesetzte Anweisungen auf
>>lokaler Basis...
>>

> AllowOverride does not overwrite something. This diretive allows
> defining additional rules which may overwrite previously defined
> directives. Sorry, I think "ueberschreiben" will be a little bit to
> free.
>
> Still my personal favourite is "referenziert" which has three
> votings. I'll choose this at the moment to get a working version of
> de.xml :-)
>
> Kess

well -

a good picture may tell more than thousand words - is an old speech. So
I'll try that way:
The Boss is sitting under the roof in a big building.
The written directives go down into all subdirectories of the magnifient
building and must be followed by all employees in all subdivisons.
This "boss-circulating-paper" (httpd.conf)
allows some subdivisons to override - all, specific - rules for their
special local purposes (AllowOverride does not overwrite something?),
e.g.
use httpd -L to compare

<LocationMatch (http_core.c)
         Container for directives affecting resources accessed through
the specified URL paths
         Allowed in *.conf only outside <Directory>, <Files> or <Location>
</LocationMatch>
Options (http_core.c)
         Set a number of attributes for a given directory
         Allowed in *.conf anywhere and in .htaccess
         when AllowOverride includes Options

So - the circulating boss-paper (httpd.conf)
states
Subdivison var/www/html/peanuts
is allowed to override some directives.
Which Directives?
This is declared by the boss paper (httpd.conf) with the Location Directive.
And some time ago the bosses were walking through the building and
hammered some nails onto some floors:
you may use .htaccess-files.
that allows Override ("Ueberschreiben") as well. That's not to free
(translated) for the sub-boss to have the permission to do something
special in their home area (subdirectory) with some new Options! ...

if anybody is able to paint the picture more beautiful - would be nice :-

i.t

--
_ ___

Re: New style/de.xml