Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Dave <sn...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/10 17:05:25 UTC

Apache Roller 3.1 RC3 (incubating) available for testing

How many folks have tested the 3.1 RCs so far?
I think it's time to call for a 3.1 release vote.

Apache Roller 3.1 RC3 (incubating) is available for testing:
http://people.apache.org/~snoopdave/apache-roller-3.1/

Required jars are available from the separate Roller Support project:
http://tinyurl.com/yds9wy

We're tracking RC issues here:
http://rollerweblogger.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Roller31Testing

Re: Apache Roller 3.1 RC3 (incubating) available for testing

Posted by Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com>.
On 1/10/07, Dave <sn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/10/07, Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Sorry, I lost motivation after I couldn't get my site upgraded to 3.0.
> >  Now the releases are coming to fast for me to catch up. ;-)
>
> I'd like to see a slow down in release frequency too
> or at least in the frequency of releases that I manage.
>
> BTW, what is the issue that's holding you back on 3.0?

I got pretty close to making things work, but gave up when I had a
bunch of macros that didn't resolve in my current theme.  Most of my
issues were posted in the following thread.

http://www.nabble.com/Apache-Roller-%28incubating%29-3.0-available-for-download-tf2592977s12275.html#a7231894

After struggling with trying to upgrade for a day, I decided there
weren't any features motivating me to upgrade and I might be better
off sticking with my current version and never upgrading.  If it ain't
broke, don't fix it. ;-)

Matt

--
http://raibledesigns.com

Re: Apache Roller 3.1 RC3 (incubating) available for testing

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oscar del Rio <de...@mie.utoronto.ca>.
Dave wrote:
> How many folks have tested the 3.1 RCs so far?

I'm running 3.1rc1.  The only serious problem was described here
http://www.nabble.com/Apache-Roller-3.1RC1-%28incubating%29-ready-for-testing-tf2676414s12275.html
I guess it's been fixed?

A "minor" problem I found yesterday is when editing existing Planet
subscriptions, I get the following error page when saving:

Saved subscription
Unexpected Exception
Roller has encountered and logged an unexpected exception.

but the changes seem to be saved OK.

roller.log shows (in part)

ERROR 2007-01-12 11:41:25,886 LazyInitializationException:<init> - failed to
lazily initialize a collection of role: org.ap
ache.roller.planet.pojos.PlanetGroupData.subscriptions, no session or session
was closed
org.hibernate.LazyInitializationException: failed to lazily initialize a
collection of role: org.apache.roller.planet.pojos
.PlanetGroupData.subscriptions, no session or session was closed
         at
org.hibernate.collection.AbstractPersistentCollection.throwLazyInitializationException(AbstractPersistentCollect
ion.java:358)

ERROR 2007-01-12 11:41:25,898 StandardWrapperValve:invoke - Servlet.service()
for servlet action threw exception
org.hibernate.LazyInitializationException: failed to lazily initialize a
collection of role: org.apache.roller.planet.pojos
.PlanetGroupData.subscriptions, no session or session was closed
         at
org.hibernate.collection.AbstractPersistentCollection.throwLazyInitializationException(AbstractPersistentCollect
ion.java:358)
         at
org.hibernate.collection.AbstractPersistentCollection.throwLazyInitializationExceptionIfNotConnected(AbstractPer
sistentCollection.java:350)

Re: Apache Roller 3.1 RC3 (incubating) available for testing

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 1/10/07, Dave <sn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> How many folks have tested the 3.1 RCs so far?
> I think it's time to call for a 3.1 release vote.

I'm -1 on another release until we get the wiki migrated and can start
talking about graduation. I think that should be the priority atm.

Hen

Re: Apache Roller 3.1 RC3 (incubating) available for testing

Posted by Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com>.
It seems that paging through search results is broken as well - as if
#showNextPrevSearchControl($pager) in Weblog.vm is not working as its
supposed to.

            #if ($model.results)
                #showWeblogSearchAgainForm($model.weblog)
                #showNextPrevSearchControl($pager)
            #else
                #showNextPrevEntriesControl($pager)
            #end

In 3.1, no page numbers show up at the bottom so I can go to 10+.  I tried
to reproduce this issue on Dave's site (since I figured he's running 3.1)
and 1) there's no search and 2) when I search, I can't get more than 5
results.

http://rollerweblogger.org/roller/search?q=roller

Matt

--
http://raibledesigns.com

Re: Apache Roller 3.1 RC3 (incubating) available for testing

Posted by Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com>.

--
http://raibledesigns.com

Re: Apache Roller 3.1 RC3 (incubating) available for testing

Posted by Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com>.

--
http://raibledesigns.com

Re: Apache Roller 3.1 RC3 (incubating) available for testing

Posted by Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com>.

Posted by Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com>.

--
http://raibledesigns.com

Re: Apache Roller 3.1 RC3 (incubating) available for testing

Posted by Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com>.

Matt Raible wrote:
> I used the 3.0 JARs - they seem to work fine. Here's some issues I
> encountered when upgrading from 2.3-incubating to 3.1-rc3:
>
> 1. #showCategoriesAsList('nil') is not resolved.  This is a custom macro I
> created. See resolution below.
>
> 2. #showCommentsCountAndLink - another custom macro. See resolution below.
>
> 3. Smileys don't work. Don't have a resolution, explanation below.
>
> 4. CSS on Comment form is messed up. See resolution below.
>
> 5. Search Again box is center-aligned. See resolution and minor bug below.
>
> Most of these were caused by the fact that I'm using a custom theme I
> created for 2.x.
>
> I found workaround for these. First off, I replaced my _day.vm template
> with
> the one from andreas08 in the java.net themes.
>
> With 3.1, showCategoriesAsList can be replaced with
> #showWeblogCategoryLinksList in weblog.vm.  However, I made the following
> change:

> Instead of:
>
> <li class="selected">$cat.name</li>
>
> Personally, I don't like it when there's a selected category that I can't
> click on - or a link that turns into text in certain states. I think we
> should make this change in Roller core. After making this change, my
> selected category is highlighted in blue. Later I discovered I had to
> change
> this in another place in this macro. From:

I think the current behavior is a fine standard.  I think what you are
describing is more of a personal preference than a standard.  I think
it's actually more common when you have a list of links in a menu that
the selected option becomes unclickable to 1) indicate what state you
are currently in and 2) prevent the user from clicking a link which
takes them to the same place they already are.

> <li class="selected">$text.get("macro.weblog.allcategories")</li>
>
> to:
>
> <li class="selected"><a
> href="$url.category($categoryObject.path)">$text.get("
> macro.weblog.allcategories")</a></li>
>
> For #2, replacing it with the following works:
>
>        #set($commentCount = $entry.commentCount)
>        #if($entry.commentsStillAllowed || $commentCount > 0)
> class="commentsLink">$text.get("macro.weblog.comments")[$commentCount]</a>
>        #end
>
> However, I don't like seeing "Comments[0]" so I changed it to display
> "Add a
> Comment" when there are none. So I changed it to:
>
>        #set($commentCount = $entry.commentCount)
>        #if($entry.commentsStillAllowed || $commentCount > 0)
>            #if($commentCount == 0)
>                $text.get( "macro.weblog.addcomment" )
>            #elseif($commentCount == 1)
>                $commentCount $text.get( "macro.weblog.comment" )
>            #else
>                $commentCount $text.get( "macro.weblog.comments" )
>            #end
>            </a>
>        #end
>
> I think we should make this change in all templates - it's in the "day.vm"
> page of andreas08.

I disagree here as well with the same reason as above, this sounds more
like a personal preference than a standard.  However, I am completely
willing to let any theme designer decide how their theme works, so if
you are the owner of the andreas08 theme then go for it.

> As far as the Smiley plugin, it looks like my class names are wrong. The
> "enabled plugins" section seems to be missing from the settings page. I
> have
> org.apache.roller.ui.rendering.plugins.smileys.SmileysPlugin in my
> roller-custom.properties.
>
> Looking in the log files, it appears that the class names are wrong for my
> plugins. However, these are the names the following page recommends:
>
> http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Javanet/JSPWikiPlugin
>
> ERROR 2007-02-09 10:27:04,625 PluginManagerImpl:loadPagePluginClasses -
> ClassNotFoundException for
> org.apache.roller.ui.rendering.plugins.convertbreaks.ConvertLineBreaksPlugin
>
> ERROR 2007-02-09 10:27:04,629 PluginManagerImpl:loadPagePluginClasses -
> ClassNotFoundException for
> org.apache.roller.ui.rendering.plugins.topictag.TopicTagPlugin
> ERROR 2007-02-09 10:27:04,633 PluginManagerImpl:loadPagePluginClasses -
> ClassNotFoundException for
> org.apache.roller.ui.rendering.plugins.search.WikipediaLinkPlugin
> ERROR 2007-02-09 10:27:04,636 PluginManagerImpl:loadPagePluginClasses -
> ClassNotFoundException for
> org.apache.roller.ui.rendering.plugins.search.GoogleLinkPlugin
> ERROR 2007-02-09 10:27:04,640 PluginManagerImpl:loadPagePluginClasses -
> ClassNotFoundException for
> org.apache.roller.ui.rendering.plugins.textile.TextilePlugin
> ERROR 2007-02-09 10:27:04,644 PluginManagerImpl:loadPagePluginClasses -
> ClassNotFoundException for
> org.apache.roller.ui.rendering.plugins.acronyms.AcronymsPlugin
> ERROR 2007-02-09 10:27:04,647 PluginManagerImpl:loadPagePluginClasses -
> ClassNotFoundException for
> org.apache.roller.ui.rendering.plugins.bookmarks.BookmarkPlugin
> ERROR 2007-02-09 10:27:04,650 PluginManagerImpl:loadPagePluginClasses -
> ClassNotFoundException for
> org.apache.roller.ui.rendering.plugins.email.ObfuscateEmailPlugin
> ERROR 2007-02-09 10:27:04,652 PluginManagerImpl:loadPagePluginClasses -
> ClassNotFoundException for
> org.apache.roller.ui.rendering.plugins.smileys.SmileysPlugin
> ERROR 2007-02-09 10:27:04,654 PluginManagerImpl:loadPagePluginClasses -
> ClassNotFoundException for
> org.apache.roller.ui.rendering.plugins.readmore.ReadMorePlugin
> ERROR 2007-02-09 10:27:04,656 PluginManagerImpl:loadPagePluginClasses -
> ClassNotFoundException for
> net.java.roller.plugins.weblogentry.jspwiki.WikiPlugin

you need to take out "smileys.", it's just plugins.SmileysPlugin

same applies for all the plugins there.

> I though I could fix the  comment form CSS by copying the contents of
> css.vminto my
> themes.css file.  My css.vm didn't contain a bunch of CSS like the
> andreas08
> theme does. Mine has:
>
> #set($theme = "andreas08" )
> #parse("/WEB-INF/classes/themes/css.vm")
>
> Doing this didn't fix the problem - it just made my theme look like Dave's.
> I then realized I should probably my Weblog.vm to have:

>    #set($pager = $model.getWeblogEntriesPager())
>        #if ($model.results)
>            #showWeblogSearchAgainForm($model.weblog)
>            #showNextPrevSearchControl($pager)
>        #else
>            #showNextPrevEntriesControl($pager)
>        #end
>
>    #showWeblogEntriesPager($pager)
>
> #if ($model.permalink)
>   #showWeblogEntryComments($entry)
>   #showWeblogEntryCommentForm($entry)
> #end
>
> instead of:
>
> #displayWeblogEntries()
>
> That fixed the problem, but my current site stretches the comment form so
> it's full width. I changed my forms.css (seems to be in css.vm in Roller's
> andreas08) to have:
>
> form textarea.large, form textarea.textarea{
>    width: 100%;
> }
>
> Instead of:
>
> form .large, form textarea.textarea{
>    width: 340px;
> }
>
> I fixed the searchBox issue by adding text-align: left to #searchAgain in
> andreas08.css. I did discover a bug - the title of the link on the search
> term has:
>
> title="Define {1} on Dictionary.com"
>
> That's it!  I'm ready to upgrade if I can get the plugins problem fixed.

plugin fix is listed above.

-- Allen

Posted by Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com>.

--
http://raibledesigns.com

Re: Apache Roller 3.1 RC3 (incubating) available for testing

Posted by Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com>.

--
http://raibledesigns.com

Re: Apache Roller 3.1 RC3 (incubating) available for testing

Posted by Nelson Carpentier <ne...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by RW <ro...@tauceti.net>.
Hi!