Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by steve44224 <ss...@neo.rr.com> on 2010/08/04 14:11:45 UTC

Failed to resolve localhost

I've searched extensively, and there doesn't seem to be any reference to this
problem.

When I attempt to start ActiveMQ "right out of the box" on a Gentoo Linux
system, it squirts out the error message: "ERROR | Failed to resolve
localhost". After this, there's a cascade of other error messages, and
ActiveMQ curls up it's toes and dies.

The problem would seem to be that ActiveMQ is looking at my hostname (in my
case "falcon") when it's trying to find the "localhost". To fix the problem,
I edited my /etc/hosts file, and added "falcon" as an alias to localhost.

In /etc/hosts the original line read:

127.0.0.1    localhost

My modification reads:

127.0.0.1   localhost falcon

Problem solved, and ActiveMQ takes off like a big bird!

Cheers!

Steve