Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Monika Garg <ga...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/25 08:13:22 UTC

Does Kafka stores Producer/Consumer Details

Hi,

I am wondering does metadata of Kafka stores producer/consumer information.

As I start any producer,I provide a broker-list to it.But producer must be
connecting to one of the broker to send data(as per Im gettiing the
things).Similarly I can start more producer by giving a broker-list in the
start command.

So a broker must be storing the information about which producer is
handshaking with it(as a producer will connect to only one broker at any
time).

Same case goes with consumer.

is there any way to find the details about Producer/Consumer from Kafka,if
I am right in explaining the above details?

--
*Moniii*

Re: Does Kafka stores Producer/Consumer Details

Posted by Joel Koshy <jj...@gmail.com>.

> I am wondering does metadata of Kafka stores producer/consumer information.
>
> As I start any producer,I provide a broker-list to it.But producer must be
> connecting to one of the broker to send data(as per Im gettiing the
> things).Similarly I can start more producer by giving a broker-list in the
> start command.
>
> So a broker must be storing the information about which producer is
> handshaking with it(as a producer will connect to only one broker at any
> time).

Not really - well, brokers obviously have to maintain these
connections from producers but it maintains no additional per-producer
state.

> Same case goes with consumer.

Same for consumers. For high-level consumers, the consumers themselves
maintain state (e.g., registration, partition ownership, offsets) in
zookeeper but there is no per-consumer state on the broker (although
with KAFKA-1000, we will be moving offset management to the broker).

Thanks,

Joel

Re: Does Kafka stores Producer/Consumer Details

Posted by Joel Koshy <jj...@gmail.com>.
> So Joel,can we get the simple details that how many producers's connection
> a broker is maintaining?

I don't think we directly maintain that information but it is readily
available through standard OS-level tools (e.g., netstat).

Thanks,

Joel

Posted by Monika Garg <ga...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Joel and Jun.