Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Lisheng Sun <li...@gmail.com> on 2005/03/31 22:05:41 UTC

SA rescore config file

Hi,
I try to re-assign score, in masses/config file:

SCORESET=3
HAM_PREFERENCE=2.0
THRESHOLD=5.0
EPOCHS=100
NOTE=

What the SCORESET here mean? Do i need to change the HAM_PREFERENCE,
THRESHOLD and EPOCHS value?
Thanks.

Re: SA rescore config file

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
Jim Maul wrote:

> umm what is masses/config file?

That's the configuration file for the mass-check tools. They impact the
perceptron when evolving scoresets (advanced stuff)

> You should only be changing scores in local.cf
>
> something like:
>
> score RULE_NAME_HERE VALUE_HERE
>
> ie: score BAYES_99 5.0

That's true for the "average user". However, it looks like Lisheng is
trying to re-evolve an entire scoreset from the ground up, which is a
very advanced topic.

Lisheng,

I think you probably want to leave the masses directory alone until
you've got a better understanding of spamassassin in it's default
configuration. Certainly you should already have an understanding of
what the different scoresets are LONG before you consider trying to
evolve one. There are probably less than 100 people in the entire world
that ever play with the masses tools. Thousands of users of SA aren't
even aware that they exist. These tools are mostly for the developers,
and the very advanced user. Even most of the SARE ninjas only run a
small number of the tools in here here. They largely use mass-check and
hit-frequencies, without using the perceptron.

I'd suggest using the default scores that come with SA to start with.
The SA developers have gone to the effort of running these tools already
to generate a good scoreset that works for most people. Once you've got
a good feel for the basics, you can start looking at the highly advanced
stuff.

To answer your specific questions (bearing in mind that this is really a
highly advanced user thing to be playing with)

>What the SCORESET here mean?

SCORESET here is to pick which scoreset you are evolving scores for. See
the "score" description in man Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf for a
description of each scoreset.

> Do i need to change the HAM_PREFERENCE,
>THRESHOLD and EPOCHS value?

No. These adjust the mathematics of how the perceptron runs while
generating scoresets. You can run perceptron -h to see a short
description of what these do. Unless you've read the perceptron code and
have a really good feel for what they do, you probably only want to
adjust these for experimental reasons.

Re: SA rescore config file

Posted by Jim Maul <jm...@elih.org>.
Lisheng Sun wrote:
> Hi,
> I try to re-assign score, in masses/config file:
>
> SCORESET=3
> HAM_PREFERENCE=2.0
> THRESHOLD=5.0
> EPOCHS=100
> NOTE=
>
> What the SCORESET here mean? Do i need to change the HAM_PREFERENCE,
> THRESHOLD and EPOCHS value?
> Thanks.

umm what is masses/config file?

You should only be changing scores in local.cf

something like:

score RULE_NAME_HERE VALUE_HERE

ie: score BAYES_99 5.0

-Jim