Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Dhaval Soni <so...@gmail.com> on 2010/05/31 16:51:38 UTC

SpamAssassin scoring for zen-spamhaus listed emails

Dear All,

I have installed MailScanner - 4.79 v with sendmail, spamassassin and clamav
on CentOS. I have also enabled "Spam List" from MailScanner.conf and using
spamhaus-ZEN for the same. So is it possible to give scoring of those emails
which listed in the same ( spamhaus-ZEN )? If yes, how can we achieve this?

I want to give score 15 to all emails which are listed in spamhaus-ZEN.

Thank you,

--
Kind regards,
Dhaval Soni

Cell: +91-966 20 29 620

Wiki: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Sonidhaval
Registered Linux User:
http://counter.li.org/cgi-bin/runscript/display-person.cgi?user=507726

Re: SpamAssassin scoring for zen-spamhaus listed emails

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Mon, 31 May 2010, Dhaval Soni wrote:

> I have installed MailScanner - 4.79 v with sendmail, spamassassin and
> clamav on CentOS. I have also enabled "Spam List" from MailScanner.conf
> and using spamhaus-ZEN for the same. So is it possible to give scoring
> of those emails which listed in the same ( spamhaus-ZEN )? If yes, how
> can we achieve this?
>
> I want to give score 15 to all emails which are listed in spamhaus-ZEN.

It soulds like you want to "poison pill" on ZEN. If that's the case, why
not do it in the MTA? Tell sendmail to reject based on ZEN. Many people
do.

   The third basic rule of firearms safety:
   Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!
  Today: Memorial Day - honor those who sacrificed for our liberty

Re: SpamAssassin scoring for zen-spamhaus listed emails

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
On 5/31/2010 10:51 AM, Dhaval Soni wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I have installed MailScanner - 4.79 v with sendmail, spamassassin and
> clamav on CentOS. I have also enabled "Spam List" from
> MailScanner.conf and using spamhaus-ZEN for the same. So is it
> possible to give scoring of those emails which listed in the same (
> spamhaus-ZEN )? If yes, how can we achieve this?
>
> I want to give score 15 to all emails which are listed in spamhaus-ZEN.
>
> Thank you,

SA uses zen by default, although it reports each list that is reported
by zen as a separate rule.

score RCVD_IN_XBL 15
score RCVD_IN_SBL 15
score RCVD_IN_PBL 15

If you really are unsure, you can look at 20_dnsbl_tests.cf, and there
you can see these are implemented with a single score-less hidden rule
(__RCVD_IN_ZEN), which does the DNS query, and the other 3 rules match
against different IP ranges in the return value.

However, all of this is redundant with using it as a spam list in
MailScanner. Once you add a DNSBL to the MailScanner spam lists, all
mail it matches will be marked as spam, no matter what SpamAssassin does
(even if it is whitelisted in SA, the MailScanner spam list takes
priority.) Many MailScanner configurations won't even bother calling
SpamAssassin when a spam list hits (it will do this unless you have the
option set to always include a SpamAssassin report).

Generally, I'd suggest one or the other. not both:
1) implement RBLs at the MailScanner level if you trust them absolutely.
If listed, spam, no other questions asked.
-or-
2) implement RBLs with scores in SpamAssassin if you trust them, but
want other scoring factors to weigh in the final decision.