Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Eddie O'Sullivan <eo...@qad.com> on 2008/04/01 12:57:42 UTC

Re: HTTP Request with increasing number of Parameters

Hi Sebb,

Thanks for the reply. The thing is each iteration adds 63 new parameters
and I want to test for over 100 iterations (6300 parameters).

The aim of this test is the get response times as the URL gets longer so by
defining all the parameters at start (even set to null) this wont allow me
do the testing required.

Any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks in advance,
Eddie

 Eddie O'Sullivan                                                  (Embedded image
 Application Performance                                            moved to file:
 Group                                                               pic00542.gif)

 QAD Ireland Ltd.                            eos@qad.com
 Hamilton House                              Tel:  +353 61 213616
 National Technological Park                 http://www.qad.com/
  Limerick, Ireland

 This e-mail may contain QAD
 proprietary information and
    should be treated as
        confidential.

             sebb
             <sebbaz@gmail.com
                                       "JMeter Users List"
             03/29/08 12:12 PM         <jm...@jakarta.apache.org>
                                                                        cc

               "JMeter Users           Re: HTTP Request with increasing
                   List"               number of Parameters
             <jmeter-user@jaka
              rta.apache.org>

On 25/03/2008, Eddie O'Sullivan <eo...@qad.com> wrote:

>  Hi all,
>
>  I am trying to create a HTTP Request that has an increasing number of
>  parameters as each iteration passes.
>
>  For example on iteration one the HTTP Request will have varA_1, varB_1,
>  varC_1 and on the second iteration it will have varA_1, varB_1, varC_1.
>  varA_2, varB_2, varC_2. This will keep increasing with each iteration,
can
>  a HTTP Request be used to do something like this or some other sampler?

So long as the maximum number of variables is known in advance, just
add them all to the Parameters section.

Intially define all the names as the empty string. Each iteration,
define the next variable. You'll probably need the __V() function for
this.

>  Thanks in advance,
>  Eddie
>

>   Eddie O'Sullivan
(Embedded image
>   Application Performance                                           moved
to file:
>   Group
pic10285.gif)

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
In 01/04/2008, Eddie O'Sullivan <eo...@qad.com> wrote:
> Hi Sebb,
>
>  You are correct in assuming these are "PUT" statements.
>
>  I was thinking of using a file as well it just certain variables get set by
>  the server each iteration and will get a bit complicated maintaining these
>  in a file. I was looking for a quick approach and was thinking maybe JMeter
>  had some functionality I wasnt aware of that would do this.

Might be worth looking at BeanShell pre-processor if you have someone
who can do Java code. You could use JMeter to define the variable
parameters in terms of regex extracted variables, and just add the
padding using BeanShell.

Posted by Eddie O'Sullivan <eo...@qad.com>.
Hi Sebb,

You are correct in assuming these are "PUT" statements.

I was thinking of using a file as well it just certain variables get set by
the server each iteration and will get a bit complicated maintaining these
in a file. I was looking for a quick approach and was thinking maybe JMeter
had some functionality I wasnt aware of that would do this.

I will go about with the file approach.

Thanks for the help,
Eddie

 Eddie O'Sullivan                                                  (Embedded image
 Application Performance                                            moved to file:
 Group                                                               pic26835.gif)

 QAD Ireland Ltd.                            eos@qad.com
 Hamilton House                              Tel:  +353 61 213616
 National Technological Park                 http://www.qad.com/
  Limerick, Ireland

 This e-mail may contain QAD
 proprietary information and
    should be treated as
        confidential.

             sebb
             <sebbaz@gmail.com
                                       "JMeter Users List"
             04/01/08 01:48 PM         <jm...@jakarta.apache.org>
                                                                        cc

               "JMeter Users           Re: HTTP Request with increasing
                   List"               number of Parameters
             <jmeter-user@jaka
              rta.apache.org>

This is not something JMeter is really designed for.

I assume you are using PUT here. You can use a file as the entire
contents of a PUT, so I suggest you create 100 files of increasing
size and use a counter to step through them.

Or you may be able to use the BeanShell pre-processor to update the
PUT parameters in the sampler. Someone familiar with Java would be
needed to do this.

On 01/04/2008, Eddie O'Sullivan <eo...@qad.com> wrote:
> Hi Sebb,
>
>  Thanks for the reply. The thing is each iteration adds 63 new parameters
>  and I want to test for over 100 iterations (6300 parameters).
>
>  The aim of this test is the get response times as the URL gets longer so
by
>  defining all the parameters at start (even set to null) this wont allow
me
>  do the testing required.
>
>  Any other suggestions would be great.
>

>  Thanks in advance,
>  Eddie
>

>   Eddie O'Sullivan
(Embedded image
>   Application Performance
moved to file:

>  Group
pic00542.gif)

>   QAD Ireland Ltd.                            eos@qad.com
>   Hamilton House                              Tel:  +353 61 213616
>   National Technological Park                 http://www.qad.com/
>   Limerick, Ireland
>

>   This e-mail may contain QAD
>   proprietary information and
>     should be treated as
>         confidential.
>

>              sebb
>              <sebbaz@gmail.com
>              >
>                                        "JMeter Users List"
>              03/29/08 12:12 PM         <jm...@jakarta.apache.org>

cc

>              Please respond to
Subject
>                "JMeter Users           Re: HTTP Request with increasing
>                    List"               number of Parameters
>              <jmeter-user@jaka
>               rta.apache.org>
>

>  On 25/03/2008, Eddie O'Sullivan <eo...@qad.com> wrote:
>  >
>  >  Hi all,
>  >
>  >  I am trying to create a HTTP Request that has an increasing number of
>  >  parameters as each iteration passes.
>  >
>  >  For example on iteration one the HTTP Request will have varA_1,
varB_1,
>  >  varC_1 and on the second iteration it will have varA_1, varB_1,
varC_1.
>  >  varA_2, varB_2, varC_2. This will keep increasing with each
iteration,
>  can
>  >  a HTTP Request be used to do something like this or some other
sampler?

>  So long as the maximum number of variables is known in advance, just
>  add them all to the Parameters section.
>
>  Intially define all the names as the empty string. Each iteration,
>  define the next variable. You'll probably need the __V() function for
>  this.
>
>  >  Thanks in advance,
>  >  Eddie
>  >