Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Andy Kalinowitsch <ak...@groundspring.org> on 2004/06/26 02:29:53 UTC

using round-robin DNS for james outbound?

Hi All,

We want James to relay to multiple outbound MTAs (mainly for load
balancing).  We have it working successfully with a single MTA, but not with
multiple.

We set up a round robin DNS host, and I added that hostname as the only
<gateway> directive in the RemoteDelivery mailet block of config.xml.  The
problem is that James will only send to the first round-robin host it
resolves, and never any of the others, as though it is caching DNS.

What else do we need to tweak to make this work?  We don't want to use
multiple <gateway>s because according to the comments & James code, this
will not give us round-robin behavior.  I didn't see anything in the docs
that addressed this situation ...

Thanks,

Andy

RE: using round-robin DNS for james outbound?

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Did you try James 2.2.0?  We added support for multiple DNS records
associated with an MX.  The behavior not only sounds like an older James
build, it sounds like the defective (broken by design) JDK DNS handling.  I
don't have James 2.2.0 source on my laptop, and am writing this at around
40K feet, but James 2.2.0 should handle this automatically for normal and
gateway resolution.  If not, it is a bug.

	--- Noel