Posted to dev@impala.apache.org by Michael Smith <mi...@apache.org> on 2022/11/30 22:41:41 UTC

RFC: IMPALA-9487 modifying SHOW FILES|PARTITIONS output

As part of IMPALA-9487 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IMPALA-9487>,
I've proposed adding a new column to 'SHOW FILES' and 'SHOW PARTITIONS'
output to display the erasure coding policy used (if any). I've also
proposed adding a new row to 'DESCRIBE EXTENDED' output. Examples are in
the ticket.

I don't think adding a new row to 'DESCRIBE EXTENDED' is controversial.
However adding new columns to output that only show useful data when using
erasure coded storage might impact some of our users. I don't see any
changes to the format of 'SHOW FILES' or 'SHOW PARTITIONS' since they were
added except IMPALA-1595 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IMPALA-1595>
.

Does anyone have concerns with adding new columns?