Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by NMTUser X <nm...@gmail.com> on 2012/09/06 06:40:47 UTC

Privacy Concerns and Implementing Corrective Proceedures To Combat Information Harvesting

Dear Users,

(IF YOU ARE UNINTERESTED IN MY THOUGHT FLOW SKIP TO) -->##
I am going to assume for the moment that personal information privacy has
become a nonessential IT headache.  Seemingly only important to people who
are more concerned with being paranoid and think they are in a spy-vs-spy
comic.  With the inception of Facebook, Myspace, Google groups and Circles,
and etcetera...personal information has become freely available to
everyone.

Personally I think it is borderline voyeuristic to allow someone to peek
over your shoulder and watch you urinate all the time, but hey thats just
me!  I have used PGP, GPG, and OpenPG since their birth, however I find
that professionally this makes me extremely unpopular, so I opened a google
acount and have been working on some simple automation to combine a few of
my accounts.  I really dislike, and find it rather creepy, that googlemail
is reading and catagorising you based on what you read and recieve in their
mail reader.  Recently, I found an unconnected website with my google mail
address listed in it's database (I havent given it to anyone, not even my
wife!) and that really got me thinking. I used to use anonymizer manglers
all the time, but so many of them have ceased working over the last ten
years.  Now I am at a new uni and they run linux mailservers, procmail, and
spamassassin...hmmm...I got to thinking about something that could be
possibly interesting.  I scanned the FAQ's and the Spamassassin website but
I didn't see anything that really applied to this problem. So My question
is this:

##
Would it be possible to send mail to myself encrypted in pgp/gpg, use a
token at the beginning of the email with the correct email address (which
is on the local network) have procmail or spamassassin parse all incoming
messages, strip the headers, decrypt the message, and reinsert it into the
mail spool to be forwarded to the correct person?
If so where do I begin to look?  Could (gpgzip) attachments be preserved?

This would allow me to continue to use gpg I could ditch google and use ANY
mail forwarding agent - even hushmail - and I could keep my professional
life intact.

Cheers.

Re: Privacy Concerns and Implementing Corrective Proceedures To Combat Information Harvesting

Posted by David B Funk <db...@engineering.uiowa.edu>.
On Wed, 5 Sep 2012, NMTUser X wrote:

> Dear Users,
>
> (IF YOU ARE UNINTERESTED IN MY THOUGHT FLOW SKIP TO) -->##
> I am going to assume for the moment that personal information privacy has become a nonessential IT headache.  Seemingly only important
> to people who are more concerned with being paranoid and think they are in a spy-vs-spy comic.  With the inception of Facebook,
> Myspace, Google groups and Circles, and etcetera...personal information has become freely available to everyone.
>
> Personally I think it is borderline voyeuristic to allow someone to peek over your shoulder and watch you urinate all the time, but hey
> thats just me!  I have used PGP, GPG, and OpenPG since their birth, however I find that professionally this makes me extremely
> unpopular, so I opened a google acount and have been working on some simple automation to combine a few of my accounts.  I really
> dislike, and find it rather creepy, that googlemail is reading and catagorising you based on what you read and recieve in their mail
> reader.  Recently, I found an unconnected website with my google mail address listed in it's database (I havent given it to anyone, not
> even my wife!) and that really got me thinking. I used to use anonymizer manglers all the time, but so many of them have ceased working
> over the last ten years.  Now I am at a new uni and they run linux mailservers, procmail, and spamassassin...hmmm...I got to thinking
> about something that could be possibly interesting.  I scanned the FAQ's and the Spamassassin website but I didn't see anything that
> really applied to this problem. So My question is this:
>

> ##
> Would it be possible to send mail to myself encrypted in pgp/gpg, use a token at the beginning of the email with the correct email
> address (which is on the local network) have procmail or spamassassin parse all incoming messages, strip the headers, decrypt the
> message, and reinsert it into the mail spool to be forwarded to the correct person?
> If so where do I begin to look?  Could (gpgzip) attachments be preserved?
>
> This would allow me to continue to use gpg I could ditch google and use ANY mail forwarding agent - even hushmail - and I could keep my
> professional life intact.
>
> Cheers.

1) If you use any "cloud based" service (gmail, google, hotmail, yahoo,
amazon, etc) and you (or your agent) are not explicitly paying for it (IE
using the "free" variety) you are not a customer you are a commodity for
them to monetize. TANSTAAFL

2) encrypted messages (pgp/gpg/PKI, etc) require a private key at the
decryption end. Do you want to put -your- private key on some automated
system (your proposed "procmail or spamassassin" system) to be used
by some system you are not directly supervising?

My personal keys are pass-phrase protected for a reason. Are yours?

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

[OT] Re: Privacy Concerns and Implementing Corrective Proceedures To Combat Information Harvesting

Posted by Adam Katz <an...@khopis.com>.
This topic is off topic.  I have marked the subject as such.

On 09/05/2012 09:40 PM, NMTUser X <.....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Would it be possible to send mail to myself encrypted in pgp/gpg,
> use a token at the beginning of the email with the correct email
> address (which is on the local network) have procmail or spamassassin
> parse all incoming messages, strip the headers, decrypt the message,
> and reinsert it into the mail spool to be forwarded to the correct
> person? If so where do I begin to look?  Could (gpgzip) attachments
> be preserved?
>
> This would allow me to continue to use gpg I could ditch google and
> use ANY mail forwarding agent - even hushmail - and I could keep my
> professional life intact.

Okay, full stop before I tell you how to do this.

WTF are you doing using google if you're this paranoid?  Not only are
they an advertiser giving you a service so they can farm your data for
profit, but they're also stats gurus who are insanely good at exactly
that!  Continuing to use them but sending all mail to a remailer will
still grant them full access to your mail folders, so they still get all
that data anyway.

You appear to be trying to hack your way into privacy with Google.
Knock it off, there's no way you can make it work.  (The only thing I
can think of would essentially be serving everything yourself and using
some kind of hack of their IMAP system for free cloud storage.  This is
stupid as you can do far better --  consider hushmail or an ec2 system.)

I am therefore going to assume you're on an email infrastructure you
trust (for outgoing SMTPS, incoming IMAPS/POP3S, and secure storage of
your inbox/folders).  This means I will reinterpret your question as one
that asks about masking the sender and recipient while in the clear over
the internet and leaving a minimal footprint overall.  A further
assumption is that your recipients have and use PGP.  Otherwise, there's
really no point in this exercise.

If your recipients use SSL to connect to their email infrastructure and
you trust that infrastructure, you're done already; your message
should(?) be encrypted point-to-point and therefore only visible to the
trusted infrastructures on each end.  Anybody sniffing the traffic sees
only the two IPs involved.  PGP is merely an extra layer protecting you
from misplaced trust (nosy admins, service providers getting subpoenaed,
insecure server backups, etc).

Otherwise, there isn't much you can do unless you have at least partial
trust.

Here's a draft that can do most of that:

Create user encryptedmail in the recipient's email infrastructure (or on
a proxy if you really want that kind of thing).  Create a file at
/etc/mail/pgp-key-map with lines like "123ABC78=joe@example.com" (sans
quotes) that maps known keys (8-char IDs) to approved recipient emails.
 Give encrypteduser this procmail recipe:

# Extract keys from message, get addresses from map file
KEY_RECIPS=`gpg --decrypt 2>&1 |perl -ne '/key, ID ([0-9A-F]{8}),/ &&
print "$1\n"' |grep -Fwf- /etc/mail/pgp-key-map |sed 's/^[^=]*=//'`

# If mapped keys were found and we're not looped, add anti-loop header
:0fhw
* KEY_RECIPS ?? @
|formail -A "X-Proxied-By: encryptedmail@example.com

# Forward if above matched and was successful
:0a
! $KEY_RECIPS

The sending end is easy, though your encryption agent won't be happy
about encrypting a message to an address that isn't being sent to.  You
can encrypt /after/ signing rather than before and then alter your
"from" address to be uninformative if you want to hide this side (just
watch out for SPF and spam detection that keys on the sender
name/address).  The recipient will be able to identify you by your
signature after decrypting the message.  Remember that the Subject is
still in the clear.

Note:  the "bad guys" can do this too, unless the PGP keys are
unpublished.  That makes this security through obscurity; it's not
(currently) worth their while to look for because nobody does it and
it's much harder than merely scraping the To/Cc fields.  There is other
identifying information in the headers that can be (painfully) extracted
as well.  The above proposal does have those minor holes but is the best
~transparent way of doing this that I can think of short of a full-blown
remailer, which is only transparent to the recipient (after procmail
magic) since it would involve hackery at the client level for wrapping
up and sending a double-encrypted message.

Note 2:  This has a hole spammers can exploit.  You really need some way
of ensuring that the encryptedmail@proxy address is accessible only to
you.  You can do this with procmail by isolating some piece of your
messages (ideally the PGP signature, but if you need to hide that,
perhaps a specific IP or a DKIM-signed From address).

Re: Privacy Concerns and Implementing Corrective Proceedures To Combat Information Harvesting

Posted by Joe Sniderman <jo...@thoroquel.org>.
On 09/06/2012 12:40 AM, NMTUser X wrote:

> Would it be possible to send mail to myself encrypted in pgp/gpg, use a
> token at the beginning of the email with the correct email address (which
> is on the local network) have procmail or spamassassin parse all incoming
> messages, strip the headers, decrypt the message, and reinsert it into the
> mail spool to be forwarded to the correct person?

Possible? Sure.  Advisable? Maybe or maybe not.

Not sure I see what you are hoping to accomplish by doing so though..

If you want to keep the connection between your MUA and your MTA
encrypted, use TLS. If you don't trust CAs, create your own private CA.

Of course, none of this prevents spammers/list-brokers from obtaining
your address by means of dictionary attacks. Of course nor will
spamassassin (nor any filtering solution.)

> If so where do I begin to look?

> Could (gpgzip) attachments be preserved?

Probably.

> This would allow me to continue to use gpg I could ditch google and use ANY
> mail forwarding agent - even hushmail - and I could keep my professional
> life intact.

I'll take your word for it.

--
Joe Sniderman <jo...@thoroquel.org>