Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Dennis Lundberg <de...@mdh.se> on 2000/02/08 20:07:23 UTC

mod_jserv/5725: request.getRemoteHost() doesn't work with Apache JServ 1.1

>Number:         5725
>Category:       mod_jserv
>Synopsis:       request.getRemoteHost() doesn't work with Apache JServ 1.1
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    jserv
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   apache
>Arrival-Date:   Tue Feb 08 11:10:01 PST 2000
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     dennis.lundberg@mdh.se
>Release:        1.3.9
We have a servlet that worked just fine on environment 1 running
Apache 1.3.9 + ApacheJServ 1.0

The problem is in a doGet() when we do like this:

public void doGet(HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse response) throws ServletException, IOException {
  response.setContentType("text/html");
  PrintWriter out = new PrintWriter (response.getOutputStream());
  out.print("Some HTML header stuff...");
  out.println("<P>host=" + request.getRemoteHost());
  out.print("Some HTML footer stuff...");
  out.close();
}

With Apache JServ 1.0 the request.getRemoteHost() returned the client-computers
hostname.

When we upgraded to Apache JServ 1.1 (both on environment 1 and 2) the
request.getRemoteHost() started returning an empty string.
>How-To-Repeat:
See above code snippet.
Unfortunately the servers are on our intranet :(
>Fix:
I have studied the webcvs tree, but haven't been able to figure out what goes wrong.
There has apparently been some work done to the assignments of env_vars
in readData() in org.apache.jserv.JServConnection.java between 1.0 and 1.1.
 [to include <ap...@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and make sure the]