Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "Moyer, Brett" <BM...@tiaa.org> on 2019/10/14 21:25:59 UTC

Facet Advice

Hello, looking for some advice, I have the suspicion we are doing Facets all wrong. We host financial information and recently "tagged" our pages with appropriate Facets. We have built a Flat design. Are we going at it the wrong way?

In Solr we have a "Tags" field, based on some magic we tagged each page on the site with a number of the below example Facets. We have the UI team sending queries in the form of 1) q=get a loan&fq=Tags:Retirement, 2) q=get a loan&fq=Tags:Retirement AND Tags:Move Money. This restricts the resultset hopefully guiding the user to their desired result. Something about it doesn’t seem right. Is this right with a flat single level pattern like what we have? Should each doc have multiple Fields to map to different values? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Example Facets:
Brokerage
Retirement
Open an Account
Move Money
Estate Planning
Etc..

Brett
This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and then delete it.

TIAA

RE: Facet Advice

Posted by "Moyer, Brett" <BM...@tiaa.org>.
Hello Shawn, thanks for reply. The results that come back are correct, but are we implementing the query correctly to filter by a selected facet? When I say wrong, it's more about the design/use of Facets in the Query. Is it proper to do fq=Tags:Retirement? Is using a Multivalued field correct for Facets? Why do you say the above are not Facets?

Here is an excerpt from our JSON:

"facet_counts": {
"facet_queries": {},
"facet_fields": {
"Tags": [
"Retirement",
1260,
"Locations & People",
1149,
"Advice and Tools",
1015,
"Careers",
156,
"Annuities",
101,
"Performance",

Brett Moyer
Manager, Sr. Technical Lead | TFS Technology
  Public Production Support
  Digital Search & Discovery

8625 Andrew Carnegie Blvd | 4th floor
Charlotte, NC 28263