Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Vincent Beretti <vb...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/14 09:44:37 UTC

Parent/modules File path compression

Hi,
Sometimes a problem appears in M2 with parent and module structure due to
the OS limitation in filepath length.
For example Windows file path can not exceed 255 characters.
But in complex maven 2 structure of parent/modules we can encounter a
problem with that.
I use Eclipse so I have to put my children projects in a flat structure.
Example :
in my filesystem my projects are :

C:/
|------ parentProject/
|------ childprojectA/
|------ childProjectB/

But in maven the structure is as following :

parentProject
|------ childProjectA
|------ childProjectB

So in childProjectX poms, I have to references parent project like this :
<relativePath>../parentProject</relativePath> and the same for modules in
parent

On a very complex structure, I have a path longer than 255 but in fact i
could be compressed to remove ..
for example when maven deletes target dir, it does like this :
delete C:/parentProject/../childProjectA/target
instead it could do
delete C:/childProjectA.
This would reduce the path length in very complex structures.
Could it be possible to do this ?
What do you think about this idea ?
Thanks
Vincent.

Re: Parent/modules File path compression

Posted by franz see <fr...@gmail.com>.
Good day to you, Vincent,

I believe your request is doable, you may want to file a jira issue for that
in maven-clean-plugin ( [1] ), and in MNG for the parent ( [2] )..that is
assuming the relativePath to the parent is not done that way.

Thanks,
Franz

[1] http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MCLEN
[2] http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG