Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Itamar Syn-Hershko <it...@divrei-tora.com> on 2008/06/09 22:52:52 UTC

Options of Field constructor accepting Reader

Hi all,

I was wondering why only the Field constructor which accepts a String offers
Store and Index options? I understand there might be no logic in offering
them for the TokenStream constructor, but what's wrong in Storing an input
from a Reader, that 2.3.2 does not allow it?

Itamar.

Re: Options of Field constructor accepting Reader

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: I was wondering why only the Field constructor which accepts a String offers
: Store and Index options? I understand there might be no logic in offering
: them for the TokenStream constructor, but what's wrong in Storing an input
: from a Reader, that 2.3.2 does not allow it?

if you want to store all of the text associated with a Reader, then
"something" needs to slurp all of that text into a String -- the Lucene
API makes you be explicit about doing that (via the String constructor)

-Hoss