Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ron Consol <rc...@tampabay.rr.com> on 2003/04/23 15:28:59 UTC

Tomcat 4.1.24 - SSL

Hi folks,

            I am stuck, probably doing something stupid but I can't see
the error messages.

            I am running TomCat on Win2K.  I followed the instructions
in the doc to create a .keystore file.  I added the JSSE jars to the
JAVA_HOME lib.  As soon as I uncomment the supplied SSL connector for
port 8443 Tomcat rolls over and dies at startup.

            I can see an error message flash on the screen but it is
gone before I can actually see it.  There are no log entries created.  I
tired using "-debug" and get a splash of messages but they are all
before the problem occurs.  I tired redirecting the output to a "log
file" (startup > error.log) but still no error messages.

            How can I get a handle on what is happening?  Or, any
suggestions as to how to enable SSL?

            My "real problem" is that I am writing an application that
requires SecureSockets.  Whenever I run that servlet, I get a message
that "no SSL Server Sockets".  So, it seemed reasonable to me that I had
to enable Tomcat to handle SSL???  I am fishing now.

                                    Cheers ......... RonC

Ron Consol
Home:352.621.4797
Cell: 352.302.5856
Work: ronc@us.ibm.com
Home: rconsol@tampabay.rr.com
Web: http://web.tampabay.rr.com/rconsol/
"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not
have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson.

Re: Tomcat 4.1.24 - SSL

Posted by Lynn Tran <ly...@cisco.com>.
Hi,

I did install the certificate but it still gives warning on the next IE
session.

Thanks

Lynn

Re: Tomcat 4.1.24 - SSL

Posted by Ramsay Domloge <rd...@arkemedia.com>.

RE: Tomcat 4.1.24 - SSL

Posted by Lynn Tran <ly...@cisco.com>.
Hi,

RE: Tomcat 4.1.24 - SSL

Re: Tomcat 4.1.24 - SSL

Posted by "Mark W. Webb" <ma...@dolphtech.com>.

RE: Tomcat 4.1.24 - SSL

Posted by Ron Consol <rc...@tampabay.rr.com>.
Hi Mark,

	Thanks, that helped immensely - to see the error messages.  I am
not quite sure what is meant by "Can't find any SSL implementation".
Obviously a class is missing.

			Cheers .................... RonC

----------------------- Startup Error Messages
-----------------------------
[INFO] Http11Protocol - -Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on port 8080
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: Can't find any SSL implementation
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.SSLImplementation.getInstance(SSLImplement
ation.java:97)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.SSLImplementation.getInstance(SSLImplement
ation.java:103)
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol.checkSocketFactory(Http11Prot
ocol.java:456)
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol.init(Http11Protocol.java:133)

        at
org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteConnector.initialize(CoyoteConnector.
java:1117)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.initialize(StandardService.j
ava:579)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.initialize(StandardServer.jav
a:2246)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:511)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:400)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:180)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:203)
[ERROR] Http11Protocol - -Error initializing socket factory
<java.lang.ClassNotF
oundException: Can't find any SSL implementation>
Catalina.start: LifecycleException:  Protocol handler initialization
failed: jav
a.lang.ClassNotFoundException: Can't find any SSL implementation
LifecycleException:  Protocol handler initialization failed:
java.lang.ClassNotF
oundException: Can't find any SSL implementation
        at
org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteConnector.initialize(CoyoteConnector.
java:1119)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.initialize(StandardService.j
ava:579)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.initialize(StandardServer.jav
a:2246)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:511)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:400)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:180)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:203)
Catalina.stop: LifecycleException:  This server has not yet been started
LifecycleException:  This server has not yet been started
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.stop(StandardServer.java:2213
)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:543)
----
Ron Consol
Home:352.621.4797
Cell: 352.302.5856
Work: ronc@us.ibm.com
Home: rconsol@tampabay.rr.com
Web: http://web.tampabay.rr.com/rconsol/
"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not
have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson.

try typing in the commands from the batch file by hand in a DOS box.
 Not much of a windows guru, but that should work

Re: Tomcat 4.1.24 - SSL

Posted by "Mark W. Webb" <ma...@dolphtech.com>.