Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com> on 2007/07/04 08:36:05 UTC

Release shared components was : Re: svn commit: r553040 - in /maven/shared/tags/maven-test-tools-1.0-alpha-2: ./ pom.xml

On 04/07/07, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 04/07/2007, at 4:16 PM, Arnaud HERITIER wrote:
>
> > Why don't we have a real release process for shared components (I
> > didn't see a vote, an explanation about changes in this release, why
> > it's an alpha ?, ...)
>
> It's a weird thing about the way we do releases, but we prepare it
> first, then vote on the prepared one. It's a bit unexpected

But it's not the release process that we use for those components ? I
didn't see a vote for them. Is it normal ? (NB: I'm not a fanatic
about processes and it's sometimes a little bit heavy in the ASF
community. It's just to know if there's a reason).

Everybody can release a shared component when he want ?

> > Is there a Jira project for all of them ?
>
> None of them have one (they report under MNG). It was one of my notes
> to review how we do that for the JIRA process I was looking at. If
> you have any thoughts, let me know - I think individual ones would be
> too much, but they need their own if they are released independantly.
> I'm thinking some of them could possibly be grouped.

Yes we have to see if some of them have the same version evolution. To
do simple at the beginning we could have only one Jira project with a
component by shared project and a version name including the component
name. Not perfect but it could be better to have a visibility on these
projects without to create too many jira projects

> - Brett

Arnaud HERITIER
OCTO Technology - aheritier@octo.com
www.octo.com | blog.octo.com
ASF - aheritier@apache.org
www.apache.org | maven.apache.org

Re: Release shared components was : Re: svn commit: r553040 - in /maven/shared/tags/maven-test-tools-1.0-alpha-2: ./ pom.xml

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 04/07/2007, at 4:36 PM, Arnaud HERITIER wrote:

> On 04/07/07, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 04/07/2007, at 4:16 PM, Arnaud HERITIER wrote:
>>
>> > Why don't we have a real release process for shared components (I
>> > didn't see a vote, an explanation about changes in this release,
>> why
>> > it's an alpha ?, ...)
>>
>> It's a weird thing about the way we do releases, but we prepare it
>> first, then vote on the prepared one. It's a bit unexpected
>
> But it's not the release process that we use for those components ? I
> didn't see a vote for them. Is it normal ? (NB: I'm not a fanatic
> about processes and it's sometimes a little bit heavy in the ASF
> community. It's just to know if there's a reason).
>
> Everybody can release a shared component when he want ?

It wasn't released - it was just prepared/tagged. That happens first,
then the vote, then pushed to the live repository (really released).
In this case, Brian decided to roll it back instead.

>> > Is there a Jira project for all of them ?
>>
>> None of them have one (they report under MNG). It was one of my notes
>> to review how we do that for the JIRA process I was looking at. If
>> you have any thoughts, let me know - I think individual ones would be
>> too much, but they need their own if they are released independantly.
>> I'm thinking some of them could possibly be grouped.
>
> Yes we have to see if some of them have the same version evolution. To
> do simple at the beginning we could have only one Jira project with a
> component by shared project and a version name including the component
> name. Not perfect but it could be better to have a visibility on these
> projects without to create too many jira projects

I'd like to avoid that if we can, but having something would be
better than just MNG, I agree.

- Brett