Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by "Nordstrom, Karl" <kx...@psu.edu> on 2022/02/07 20:57:07 UTC

GC overhead limit exceeded

Hello activemq users,

We are running v5.16.3 on our amq dev nodes and hit these errors today. Has anybody else encounter these? The heap size on dev is 1G while it's 4G on acceptance. I wonder if 5.16.3 requires more space than 5.15.12 did?

2022-02-07 15:22:39,325 | ERROR | JobScheduler: JMS Caught exception in mainloop | org.apache.activemq.store.kahadb.scheduler.JobSchedulerImpl | JobScheduler:JMS
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded

2022-02-07 15:22:45,761 | ERROR | Checkpoint failed | org.apache.activemq.store.kahadb.MessageDatabase | ActiveMQ Journal Checkpoint Worker
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded

---

Karl Nordström

Systems Administrator

Penn State IT | Application Platforms

Re: GC overhead limit exceeded

Posted by "Nordstrom, Karl" <kx...@psu.edu>.
Thanks Matt, I'll look for GC tuning params for java-1.8.0-openjdk. These hosts do have two processors and 8G of ram.

[kxn2@amq-d02 ~]$ grep processor /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
processor : 1

[kxn2@amq-a02 ~]$ grep processor /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
processor : 1

[kxn2@amq-p02 ~]$ grep processor /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
processor : 1

---

Karl Nordström

Systems Administrator

Penn State IT | Application Platforms

________________________________
Those error messages are usually indicative of a garbage collection (GC) tuning problem at the JVM level. On any busy system running Java, the default GC settings may not force garbage collection frequently enough in order to keep memory resources available.

I suggest you look into garbage collection logging and GC tuning options for your version of the JDK.

Thanks,
Matt

Posted by "Nordstrom, Karl" <kx...@psu.edu>.
Hello,

Here are the memory and cpu stats.

[kxn2@amq-d02 ~]$ free -h
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:           7.6G        745M        267M        422M        6.6G        6.2G
Swap:            0B          0B          0B

[kxn2@amq-a02 ~]$ free -h
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:           7.6G        1.0G        2.8G        148M        3.8G        6.1G
Swap:            0B          0B          0B

[kxn2@amq-p02 ~]$ free -h
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:           7.6G        964M        2.6G        414M        4.1G        6.0G
Swap:            0B          0B          0B

I increased -Xmx from 1G to 2G, on development to match acceptance and production.

[kxn2@amq-d02 activemq]$ grep ACTIVEMQ_OPTS_MEMORY= bin/env
ACTIVEMQ_OPTS_MEMORY="-Xms64M -Xmx2G"

[kxn2@amq-a02 activemq]$ grep ACTIVEMQ_OPTS_MEMORY= bin/env
ACTIVEMQ_OPTS_MEMORY="-Xms64M -Xmx2G"

[kxn2@amq-p02 activemq]$ grep ACTIVEMQ_OPTS_MEMORY= bin/env
ACTIVEMQ_OPTS_MEMORY="-Xms64M -Xmx2G"

---

Karl Nordström

Systems Administrator

Penn State IT | Application Platforms

It's probably also worth considering whether you're giving the JVM (and the
machine) enough RAM for the amount of data you're asking it to hold in
memory.

Tim

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.

Posted by Matt Pavlovich <ma...@gmail.com>.