Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Sampath K Settipalli <Sa...@genome.wi.mit.edu> on 2002/08/01 19:55:19 UTC

writing a DOM DOcument to file

Hi,

    Is there any thing in Xerces similar to TXDocument.toXMLString()  so
that we can use the returned String to write to a File ?
    All I want is write a DOM Document to a  File.

Thanks in Advance,
Sampath

Re: writing a DOM DOcument to file

Posted by Elena Litani <el...@ca.ibm.com>.

Sampath K Settipalli wrote:
>     Is there any thing in Xerces similar to TXDocument.toXMLString()  so
> that we can use the returned String to write to a File ?

You can use org.apache.xml.XMLSerializer to serialize a Document, i.e.:
XMLSerializer serializer = new XMLSerializer(System.out, new
OutputFormat(doc));
serializer.asDOMSerializer();
serializer.serialize(doc);

Also, Xerces provides implementation [1] for DOM Level 3 Load and Save
[2]. This API allows you to load and serialize document.

Note: DOM Level 3 is a Working Draft, which represents work in progress
and thus the API may be changed.

For more information see DOM3.java sample [3].

[1] http://xml.apache.org/xerces2-j/faq-write.html#faq-1
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-DOM-Level-3-LS-20020725/

[3] http://xml.apache.org/xerces2-j/samples-dom.html#DOM3

--