Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com> on 2003/05/28 19:26:19 UTC

Re: Forwarding an Apache request to a seperate machine running Tomcat ....newbie here1

On Wed, 28 May 2003 11:28:28 -0400, Eric fiedler <ef...@actelesys.com>
wrote:

> I have read numerous posts that say I basically have two options: mod_jk
> or
> mod_proxy.  Seeing as machine 'b', the Tomcat machine, will host the
> static
> documents associated with its site...I think mod_proxy is the best way to
> go...correct???

Depends on what you mean by "put a link to machine B on machine A".  If you
mean that the content on machine B is "dynamic" content that Tomcat
handles, then you can use mod_jk or mod_jk2.  If you mean that the content
on machine B is static content, you could still do it with mod_jk (with a
JkMount of "*" instead of /*.jsp), but it won't be optimal.

Mod_proxy can work, too.

> I am running tomcat 4.0.3 and Apache 1.3.....I also have 2.0 available to
> me
> if that is better.

1.3 or 2 is fine...but you should think about upgrading your Tomcat.  4.0.6
is the latest, I believe, in the 4.0 tree, and some of the fixes in .4, .5,
and .6 were security related.

> I cannot find documentation on how to use mod_jk under tomcat 4.0.3.
> Furthermore, most documentation I read assumes Tomcat and Apache are on
> the
> same machine. What do you do if they are not???

Version of Tomcat is fairly irrelevant as far as mod_jk is concerned...in
general any documentation for any Tomcat version 4 will be fine, or even
Tomcat 3.3.

http://www.johnturner.com/howto
http://tomcatfaq.sourceforge.net

If Tomcat and Apache are not on the same machine, you simply change the
.host property in mod_jk's workers.properties file from "localhost" to the
IP address of the machine hosting Tomcat.

> In regards to mod_proxy; Where can I get this? Apache was installed
> previously and I do not have the source code anymore. Is there a binary
> version of this?

I have no idea, perhaps an Apache list can help.

John