Posted to user@vcl.apache.org by Dmitri Chebotarov <dc...@gmu.edu> on 2012/05/18 15:40:43 UTC

Update vmware-tools on many base images ?

Hi

We plan to update VCL ESXi hosts and it will require VMware Tools update for all VMs.

I'm looking at different options on how to update vmware-tools on many base images.

One option is to use web GUI to create new image revision with updated tools for each image.

Other option would be to create temp. VMs using persistent disk images pointing to base images .vmdk files, then update vmware-tools and delete temp. VMs (in-place upgrade?).
This will probably require full shutdown of VCL system to make sure no one is using any of the images during the upgrade.

May be someone already done it and could share some recommendations ...

--
Thank you,

Dmitri Chebotarov
Virtual Computing Lab Systems Engineer, TSD - Ent Servers & Messaging
223 Aquia Building, Ffx, MSN: 1B5
Phone: (703) 993-6175
Fax: (703) 993-3404

Re: Update vmware-tools on many base images ?

Posted by Dmitri Chebotarov <dc...@gmu.edu>.
I was about to use if ($vm_persistent) check, i.e. :

if ($vm_persistent) {
%vmx_parameters = (%vmx_parameters, (
"tools.upgrade.policy" => "upgradeAtPowerCycle",
));
}

but $self->data->get_request_forimaging() may work better.

Thank you.

Posted by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu>.

Posted by Dmitri Chebotarov <dc...@gmu.edu>.
Andy