Posted to xmlrpc-dev@ws.apache.org by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/27 10:11:18 UTC

[VOTE] Merge xmlrpc-dev and xmlrpc-user

Hi,

as the traffic on the xmlrpc-dev and xmlrpc-user lists is rather
moderate, I find it counterproductive to have different lists. In its
current state, the project would benefit more, of a single discussion
list, which users and developers share. Therefore, I propose the
following changes:

    1.) Introduce a new list, xmlrpc-auto@ws.apache.org. This list
will be initially
         populated with all current members of xmlrpc-dev.
    2.) Ensure that SVN commits and Jira issues are forwarded to xmlrpc-auto.
    3.) If step 2.) is done, merge the lists xmlrpc-user and
xmlrpc-dev to a single
         list xmlrpc-dev. In other words, move all xmlrpc-user members
to xmlrpc-dev.
         In order to keep current mail addresses valid, make
xmlrpc-user an alias
         for xmlrpc-dev.

Furthermore, I propose that all of this shall be done before the
release of XML-RPC 3. In other words, make sure that the published
XML-RPC 3 release reflects the new system.

Jochen

--
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the
majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

Re: [VOTE] Merge xmlrpc-dev and xmlrpc-user

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at>.
+1

Siegfried Goeschl

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

sorry for missing the following: I should have fixed a time frame
after which the vote is decided. I'll do that now by stating that I'll
keep the vote open for seven days.

Jochen

Posted by Steffen Pingel <st...@gmx.de>.
+1

(I recently subscribed to both lists because I couldn't settle on either one.
Although I consider myself a user of the library I am also a developer and
would not want to miss out on the technical discussion about API etc.)

Steffen

--
Steffen Pingel - steffenp@gmx.de - http://steffenpingel.de

Re: [VOTE] Merge xmlrpc-dev and xmlrpc-user

Posted by String Larson <st...@mac.com>.
Merge 'em.

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.
2006/7/27, Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>:

> On 7/27/06, Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Do you have stats on these 2 lists ?
>
> No. Why are you asking?

To see if it could be really usefull to merge them.

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me.

Posted by Rutger Heijmerikx <ru...@checksum.org>.
On 7/27/06, Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as the traffic on the xmlrpc-dev and xmlrpc-user lists is rather
> moderate, I find it counterproductive to have different lists. In its
> current state, the project would benefit more, of a single discussion
> list, which users and developers share. Therefore, I propose the
> following changes:
>
>     1.) Introduce a new list, xmlrpc-auto@ws.apache.org. This list
> will be initially
>          populated with all current members of xmlrpc-dev.
>     2.) Ensure that SVN commits and Jira issues are forwarded to xmlrpc-auto.
>     3.) If step 2.) is done, merge the lists xmlrpc-user and
> xmlrpc-dev to a single
>          list xmlrpc-dev. In other words, move all xmlrpc-user members
> to xmlrpc-dev.
>          In order to keep current mail addresses valid, make
> xmlrpc-user an alias
>          for xmlrpc-dev.
>
> Furthermore, I propose that all of this shall be done before the
> release of XML-RPC 3. In other words, make sure that the published
> XML-RPC 3 release reflects the new system.
>
> Jochen
>
> --
> Whenever you find yourself on the side of the
> majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
> (Mark Twain)

Good idea, the phrase "In its current state" is very applicable imo.
But when traffic increases because of the progress of the porject
you'll need to change it all back again? Maybe it's wise to wait and
see what conversation traffic will do untill the project does a major
release?

--
PGP Fingerprint: F405 76EA A10C BE60 620F  B174 2DA4 B0A0 782C 6BBD

Re: [VOTE] Merge xmlrpc-dev and xmlrpc-user

Posted by Jimisola Laursen <li...@jimisola.com>.
Hi!

I am not a member of the project and hence not able to vote, but I do have a
few cents to throw in.
The Maven Team did a small, but very good change not too long ago since
"real" posts drowned in the dev list by auto-generated mail. They created a
separate list for mail from Jira and SVN (Maven - Issues) and I figure that
this is the function that xmlrpc-auto will have for this project.

If I had a vote, I would vote that

1) xmlrpc-auto is created (populated with all current members of xmlrpc-dev)
2) xmlrpc-dev and xmlrpc-user are kept separate : there is use-case line
between the two and being a user you are usually not interested in
development "talk".

Regards,
Jimisola