Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by "Buttler, David" <bu...@llnl.gov> on 2011/01/04 02:05:54 UTC

RE: What is the fastest way to get a large amount of data into the Hadoop HDFS file system (or Hbase)?

Right, I should have realized that you guys would be using a good parallel file system.  In that case a M/R job will be great for moving the data -- as long as you don't overload the network.  And if you are going to have the data end up in HBase you may just write a map job to directly insert into hbase, either through standard inserts or bulk loads (which should be 10x faster).

If you have time to play, it might be interesting to see how hbase runs over your current file system.  Just use the file://<path to shared directory> instead of the hdfs:// url in the hbase-site.xml file.  I would stress test that first with both hbase and m/r jobs just to make sure that it behaves well, but there would be many people who would love to hear about your experience here.  I for one would like to know if I can run hbase over luster since we love luster around here.

Dave