Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by Michael Marshall <mm...@apache.org> on 2022/07/06 03:35:30 UTC

[DISCUSS] Remove Pulsar Broker Javadocs from Website

Hi Pulsar Community,

We currently host the generated Pulsar Broker Javadocs on our website.
You can find them here [0].

I cannot find any references to these docs in the actual pulsar
documentation, which indicates to me that these are not used.
(Searching for `api/pulsar-broker` returns nothing.)

Additionally, these Javadocs take up a lot of space (about 267 MB
uncompressed in the apache/pulsar-site repo) and will take up a lot
more space if we start generating the docs correctly for each patch
release, as I propose in  PR [1]. Note that the PR currently adds over
8 million lines of generated Javadocs where 5,208,309 are from the
newly created `pulsar-broker` directory, which only contains broker
Javadocs. That directory is 304 MB uncompressed.

Before I merge [1], I want to confirm whether we should continue
hosting these Javadocs. In my opinion, we should only generate and
host Javadocs that are used by the community, and since these are both
unreferenced and rather large, I think we should remove them.

Does anyone feel strongly about keeping the generated Pulsar Broker
Javadocs on the website?

If I do not hear any feedback requesting that we keep these docs, I
will remove them from the website at the end of this week. Note that
these docs can be generated trivially, so removing them from the
website is reversible.

Thanks,
Michael

[0] https://pulsar.apache.org/api/pulsar-broker/
[1] https://github.com/apache/pulsar-site/pull/133

Re: [DISCUSS] Remove Pulsar Broker Javadocs from Website

Posted by Zixuan Liu <no...@gmail.com>.
+ 1, I agreed with this idea.

Michael Marshall <mm...@apache.org> 于2022年7月7日周四 12:09写道:

Posted by Michael Marshall <mm...@apache.org>.