Posted to dev@senssoft.apache.org by Joshua Poore <po...@apache.org> on 2019/03/26 01:16:58 UTC

Releases and things

Hi Folks,

Given we’re making serious headway toward a name change, I’d like to be prepared to push some releases out. Of course, prior to any official release, there will be a VOTE. However, I’d like to open a thread to talk release strategy, just to get some first impressions.

1. We’ll need to re-release Apache UserALE.js v 1.0.0. This is procedural, because our release artifacts were not appropriately named. This is essentially, exactly what’s on Master + plus a few security-driven updates to NPM packages. This doesn’t have to wait until the name switch, but we have been.

2. My thinking is that we release Apache UserALE.js v 2.0.0 shortly after the name change. This will be important for community generation. My thoughts are that we release the SENSSOFT-192 branch (soon to be Flagon) as version 2.0.0. This branch is massive and includes a lot of major updates to the base UserALE.js product, as well as major growth through Extension.

3. Following Apache UserALE.js v 2.0.0, I’d like to release v 2.1.0 soon thereafter, this will catch us up and include some recent major package updates and some minor features, including new log features. There are a few tickets left to burn down on v 2.1.0.

4. I’d also like to release Apache Flagon v 1.0.0 (Frmly known as SensSoft 1.0.0, our back-end). One or two big things need to happen to this branch. We were hesitant to release this before, but given the way Elastic is moving, and how our own back end works (e.g., Kubes), I believe we need to be pushing out official releases to Docker.

Please comment, argue, or register concerns about this model. If we agree on UserALE, vs SensSoft/Flagon releases, I’ll update our release boards on JIRA to reflect. If I don’t hear anything, I’ll update them anyway, and then we’ll have to return to these questions when we start voting on releases.

Josh