Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by David Tanzer <st...@guglhupf.net> on 2005/10/01 17:57:25 UTC

This week on harmony-dev (Sept. 25 - Oct. 1 2005)

Archie Cobbs contributed a part of the JCVM to the project in the
JIRA which might be called JCHE (JC Harmony Edition) within harmony.
Andy Oliver tried to port it to OSX but had problems with the required
packages. Santiago Gala, Stefano Mazzocchi, Archie Cobbs and Dalibor
Topic tried to help, but Andy didn't get it running so far.
[http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200509.mbox/%3c4337017B.4090003@dellroad.org%3e]

Michael Koch asked in "How to package a contribution" if it's OK to
dual-license a contribution (i.e. GPL and AL), Geir Magnusson Jr
answered that he's free to do so and that he would encourage this to
bring the communities together.
[http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200509.mbox/%3c1127735570.30216.4.camel@localhost.localdomain%3e]

I have added my proof-of-concept component model to JIRA and later
there was the vote "[vote] Accept JIRA contribution HARMONY-5 : David
Tanzer's proof-of-concept component model" about it. It was accepted
with 3 binding votes from the PPMC (geir, dims, stefano) and it can now
be found in
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/harmony/enhanced/trunk/sandbox/contribs/tanzer_component
There where a total of 10x +1, 1x 0 and 1x -1 votes.
[http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200509.mbox/%3c1127759032.2691.0.camel@Elrond.Rivendell%3e]
[http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200509.mbox/%3c9FFE9F24-033F-412D-8AB7-5069B099B85B@apache.org%3e]

During this vote and a vote about the JCVM contribution some aspects
of this voting process have been explained again. Everybody should vote
because the opinion of the whole community is important, "but the
binding votes are the PPMC while in incubation, and the PMC when out of
incubation". A vote needs three binding +1 votes to be accepted (with no
-1 votes). In this context "+1" means yes, "-1" means no and "0" means
don't care. Geir Magnusson Jr. also clarified that in votes for code for
the sandbox: "No one is going to reject contributions to the sandbox
except for reasons of code provenance - i.e. 'Hey, that's Sun's
source!'  - or complete misalignment with project, such as someone
donating an EJB container or something."
[http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200509.mbox/%3ce9076fd90509290125230e659d@mail.gmail.com%3e]
[http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200509.mbox/%3c39AC0C2E-E7BF-4A7A-85EC-C84031BDCE67@apache.org%3e]
[http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200509.mbox/%3c433E84B5.6050502@gmail.com%3e]

In the thread "[Arch] Class unloading and VM objects reclaim" Usman
Bashir explained a model where every class loader manages his part of
the memory. Archie Cobbs replied that this would work, but he asked
what we would gain with this approach. There has been no answer yet.
[http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200509.mbox/%3c2de195a20509280055118b8f7f@mail.gmail.com%3e]

The vote "[vote] Accept JIRA contribution HARMONY-3 : Archie Cobbs'
Contribution of JCVM" is currently running. Daniel Lydick has posted a
"basic Java Virtual Machine entitled the 'Apache Harmony Bootstrap
JVM.'" as a JIRA contribution. Mark Wielaard has sent in a report from
the "GNU Classpath distro DevJam" telling us it was a great success
(congrats!).
[http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200509.mbox/%3c41287D45-DD82-4276-A0DF-F7263EB5BD8B@apache.org%3e]
[http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200509.mbox/%3cFAD83F4B-2E6C-4555-965D-158CD7731967@apache.org%3e]
[http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200509.mbox/%3c1128166626.5800.67.camel@localhost.localdomain%3e]

Regards, David.

-- Read the archive of this series at http://deltalabs.at/
-- RSS feed: http://deltalabs.at/?q=taxonomy/term/8/0/feed
-- Also aggregated at: http://planet.classpath.org/

--
David Tanzer, Haghofstr. 29, A-3352 St. Peter/Au, Austria/Europe
http://deltalabs.at -- http://dev.guglhupf.net -- http://guglhupf.net