Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com> on 2013/09/10 22:12:21 UTC

[VOTE][RESULTS] Release Apache CloudStack 4.2.0 (fourth round)

The vote has *passed* with the following results (binding PMC votes indicated with a "*" next to their name:

+1 : Edison*, Chiradeep*, Sebastien*, Prasanna*, Rajesh Batala, Ove Ewerlid
-1 : Marcus*, Chip*, Simon Weller

I'm going to proceed with moving the release into the distribution repo now and work on release notes and other documentation tasks

The -1 are recorded for the CLVM issue [1]. A fix for this issue is available and fixed in 4.2-forward branch and will be available for  4.2.1. If anyone needs the fix now they can cherry-pick from 4.2-forward with commitId f2c5b5fbfe45196dfad2821fca513ddd6efa25c9. This issue will be release noted.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-4618

Thanks
Animesh

Re: So few votes on the 4.2 release

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.
>From my point of view, it's hard to 'buy off' on something that has
such a large scope.  In the past I've been skiddish to cast a vote,
knowing that I've only tested the things I'm familiar with and I may
very well be casting a +1 for something completely broken.  The irony
is that I don't think any individual dev would probably be familiar
enough to test the whole thing, thus it requires all of us to test the
portions we know about and vote in order to get good coverage
(automation not withstanding), but it may be that very thing that
keeps people away.

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.

--
*Mike Tutkowski*

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.

--
*Mike Tutkowski*

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.
Hi Sebastien,

--
*Mike Tutkowski*

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

>> The vote has *passed* with the following results (binding PMC votes indicated with a "*" next to their name:
>>
>> +1 : Edison*, Chiradeep*, Sebastien*, Prasanna*, Rajesh Batala, Ove Ewerlid
>> -1 : Marcus*, Chip*, Simon Weller
>>

> FWIW, I am very disappointed by this vote. The result does not matter, the number of people voting is worrisome to me.
>
> We have over ~70 apache committers on CloudStack, why didn't people vote ?
>
> -sebastien

So I am not so much worried about the number of people voting. I look
at projects like httpd and see similar vote numbers.

Evaluating a release, at least for me, takes a considerable amount of
time. It easily consumes a full half-day of my time, and I take that
as a serious responsibility. Life, however, also gets in the way. If
we struggled to get 3 votes, I'd be worried. Instead we have 6 binding
votes, and 3 non-binding votes. I don't consider that a bad turnout.

There's also a certain fatigue that I think comes with having to spin
multiple RCs. I really do wonder if we shouldn't set expectations for
both ourselves and our users on what our release criteria is.
Perfection isn't a reasonable - and we don't want to let the perfect
get in the way of the good. At the same time we can't ship shoddy
quality.

Take Fedora's process which has three criteria stages:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_20_Alpha_Release_Criteria
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_20_Beta_Release_Criteria
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_20_Final_Release_Criteria

Perhaps we can take some of that and benefit from it.

--David

Re: So few votes on the 4.2 release

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
Sebastien,

I could/would have voted +0 as I don't have a clear picture of the
quality of the release.

this once again comes down to testing in 72 hour and automating it.

Daan

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE][RESULTS] Release Apache CloudStack 4.2.0 (fourth round)

Posted by Kirk Jantzer <ki...@gmail.com>.
Soon.

Regards,

Kirk Jantzer
http://about.me/kirkjantzer

Posted by Dean Kamali <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
Tomorrow is a bit crowded for me
Free after 10 PST for 1 hour
Free from 12 PST for 1/2 hour

On Friday, I am out for the day.

Ron

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.
Thanks Ron

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.
Thanks Ron

Posted by David Ortiz <dp...@outlook.com>.
The issues Ron is referring to relate to the fact that if you follow the KVM installation instructions as they relate to vlans, you lose all network connectivity on the box.  I know this stopped our installation dead in its tracks for a few days before I finally decided to guess at a simplified network configuration and got lucky.
Thanks,     Dave

Posted by Gavin Lee <ga...@gmail.com>.

--
Gavin

Re: [VOTE][RESULTS] Release Apache CloudStack 4.2.0 (fourth round)

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Jörgen Maas <jo...@gmail.com>.

--
Grtz,
Jörgen Maas

Re: [VOTE][RESULTS] Release Apache CloudStack 4.2.0 (fourth round)

Posted by Dean Kamali <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
See you there.

If anyone has issues to add to the JIRA for documentation, please add
them now.

Ron

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
See you there.

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
Travis,
You might want to add the issues/ideas to the JIRA so they don't get lost.
If anyone wants to comment on what I wrote in any of my JIRA issues,
that could also be helpful since I am coming at this from a state of
ignorance that is sometimes helpful but also a bit limiting in what I
can propose as solutions.

Ron

Posted by Travis Graham <tg...@tgraham.us>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.
Ron

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.
Ron

Posted by Kirk Jantzer <ki...@gmail.com>.
The beauty of open source projects is that if you are not good at
development you can still help the project by contributing to the
documentation.

Regards,

Kirk Jantzer
http://about.me/kirkjantzer

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 6:56 PM, Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@artifact-software.com

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Abhinandan Prateek <Ab...@citrix.com>.
Yes, I we should move the fixVersion 4.2.0 bugs to 4.2.1.

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.