Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> on 2006/06/23 12:04:45 UTC

scripting

Having been doing some work documenting scripting recently, I want to
note some current limitations with ant's script support.

<scriptdef>
-no automatic check for attributes/elements declared. The script code
needs to do that themselves, which leads to...

-bad handling of BuildExceptions raised in scripts. This is because they
get turned into the script-language-specific faults and then back out
again, with the result that you get full stack traces.

-no expansion of properties in nested text

-no support for resource sources of scripts, such as things in JAR
files. This stops you bundling scripts into antlibs

<scriptcondition>

-no way to pass in parameters to the condition

-no expansion of properties in nested text

-no support for resource sources of scripts, such as things in JAR
files. This stops you bundling scripts into antlibs

I havent looked at the others yet...

Re: scripting

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 26 Jun 2006, Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> wrote:
> Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>> On Fri, 23 Jun 2006, Alexey Solofnenko <tr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> About property expansion - many languages use the same syntax for
>>> inline property substitution. It may be good not to expand
>>> properties automatically.
>> That's the reason it hasn't been implemented, exactly.  Just
>> imagine a script task using Perl with a bunch of Perl variables
>> that accidently collide with Ant properties.  Stefan
>
> yeah, it would be funny. Perhaps an expandProperties attribute that
> would be false by default, but could be turned on if you knew what
> you were doing.

Works for me

      Stefan

Re: scripting

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.

Re: scripting

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Re: scripting

Posted by Alexey Solofnenko <tr...@gmail.com>.
About property expansion - many languages use the same syntax for inline
property substitution. It may be good not to expand properties
automatically.

- Alexey.

Alexey N. Solofnenko trelony at gmail.com
home: http://trelony.cjb.net/