Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Max Merbald <ma...@gmx.de> on 2015/09/03 22:31:08 UTC

Wrongful information on the Wikipedia

Hi there,

the Engish Wikipedia claims that AOO is dormant. I can't see where they
have the information from. The sources they use don't say so. I think
it's definitely bad for OpenOffice when people think no more is done
about it. The problem is also that LibreOffice has just published its
version 5.0 and is getting ahead of us.

Max

Re: Wrongful information on the Wikipedia

Posted by Wolf Halton <wo...@gmail.com>.
One solution is to write small but hopeful press releases of progress on the blog or otherwhere and have someone else update wikipedia.

Wolf Halton
Atlanta Cloud Technology
Broadening Your Vision to Broaden Your Reach
678-687-6104
--
Sent from my iPhone. Creative word completion courtesy of Apple, Inc.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 10/09/2015 Max Merbald wrote:
> If people read on the Wikipedia that AOO is "dormant"

OpenOffice is not dormant, as of today. A link that can dispel the myth is

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.2

(and blog posts that will come, but this is enough for the time being).

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Wrongful information on the Wikipedia

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
> On 16 Sep 15, at 15:38, Dennis E. Hamilton <or...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Time, gentlemen, time.
>
> We're far across the ad hominem boundary and it is time to let this thread go night-night.
>
> Whatever is thought of about what happens on Wikipedia, it is not ASF and AOO business.  We have our own business to attend to.  If folks want to keep fussing about it, there are many better places to do that than here on dev@.
>
> - Dennis
>
> [ … ]

?? I don’t think this is a) a gentleman kind of thing, if only for gender reasons; b) I think I rather like Mr G. and hardly deem this to be an ad hominem event. If others are like me, once you read over Mr G’s bio, a *lot* gets forgiven. He’s a card, a character, a source of necessary comic inversion. No one is flaming anyone here and we are actually kind of having fun.

Louis

Re: Wrongful information on the Wikipedia

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 09/16/2015 02:32 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:

>> On 16 Sep 15, at 17:27, Rob Weir <ro...@robweir.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 5:04 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@robweir.com> wrote:

>>> Ad hominem?  Excuse me?   The web page has a record of Wikipedia
>>> abuses attributed to Mr. Gerard and cites several cases where he
>>> was sanction for it.   One can talk about his actions without
>>> slurring his person, especially when such acts are directly
>>> relevant to the topic of this thread.
>>>

>> Last word, in case the inference is unclear.   We're dealing with
>> a sophisticated serial infringer on Wikipedia.  Correcting
>> erroneous information, which is proper to do, is unlikely to be
>> achieved via an edit war.  Don't bring a knife to a gunfight.   Any
>> progress would only be made by showing Mr. Gerard's own conflict
>> and his bad will (not hard to do),  and escalating it within the
>> the formal Wikipedia appeals process, patiently dealing with the
>> ministerial types to whom bureaucratic process is dear.  Since
>> Dennis does not want to discuss this on the list, feel free to
>> contact me offline if anyone wishes to discuss this further.
>>
>> -Rob

I love "serial infringer". :)

> But Dennis does not control the lists, just as King Canute did not
> control the waves. :-/
>
> Rob, your points are good; I was being too facetious, stunned by the
> attitude of Mr Gerard. Clearly, unless we are reading him wrongly, he
> would seem more likely to stick to his position, regardless of reason
> and logic, than accept the ignominy of somebody else being right.
>
> louis

MzK

“The journey of a thousand miles begins
 with a single step.”
                          --Lao Tzu

Re: Wrongful information on the Wikipedia

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@robweir.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@robweir.com>.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
> On 16 Sep 15, at 14:31, Max Merbald <ma...@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> According to the links on that page it's him.

Fantastic.

One hopes he’s reading this.

Louis

PS in case others didn’t bother to follow up on Rob’s link, the title (self-appointed, I assume) held by Mr Gerard is enough to earn his keep, I’m sure.

Posted by Max Merbald <ma...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@robweir.com>.

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Mon, 14 Sep 2015 23:20:18 +0200
Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de> wrote:

> Well, he did it again...
>
> That is what he wrote to me on google+:
>
> "And don't do what the previous AOO editor did and inexplicably fail to
> reveal their COI."

For those who don't know, "COI" means "Conflict of Interest".

COIs cut both ways; Mr G should be invited to quote chapter and verse (fact, not opinion) for his alteration.

If there is dispute on the matter it should be referred higher on Wikipedia; he, as moderator on Wikipedia, should not arbitrate on any entry in which he is personally involved.  The legal maxim is "Nemo judex in sua causa" (No man should judge in his own case) and the UK legal precedent is that of Coke in Dr Bonham's case.

Rory O'Farrell

Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Wrongful information on the Wikipedia

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
The best case we can make is a new release. So, even for this little
change it's good to make progress with 4.1.2.

PS:
I've my own opinion about Wikipedia and it's data quality. Maybe you can
guess in what direction is could go.

Marcus

Posted by John D'Orazio <jo...@cappellaniauniroma3.org>.

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Well, he did it again...

Posted by John D'Orazio <jo...@cappellaniauniroma3.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John D'Orazio <jo...@cappellaniauniroma3.org>.
I'll try to change it too. If someone on wikipedia reverts an edit up to
three times without founded reason, they can be blocked by a wikipedia
moderator. So they won't be able to continue reverting forever...

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 7:59 PM, Matthias Seidel <matthias.seidel@hamburg.de
> wrote:

> https://twitter.com/davidgerard
>

> Am 14.09.2015 um 17:03 schrieb Max Merbald:
>
>> I changed it back. Who is this David Gerard person who obviously wants
>> to damage OpenOffice?
>>

>> Am 14.09.2015 um 16:48 schrieb Donald Whytock:
>>
>>> There was a minor skirmish last week over it.  Looks like there'll be one
>>> this week too...someone changed it to "moribund".
>>>
>>> On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 6:54 PM, Phillip Rhodes
>>> <mo...@gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sorry, I missed the infobox when I looked at the page.  You're right,

John R. D'Orazio

Re: Wrongful information on the Wikipedia

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.

Posted by Max Merbald <ma...@gmx.de>.

Posted by John D'Orazio <jo...@cappellaniauniroma3.org>.
Well actually the case of the wikipedia article is different, because the
adjective that is used for the project whether "dormant" or "moribund" is
not in fact actually being referred to the Apache project  but to the
pre-Apache project. The Apache project is indicated as being a derivative
project, and has been given a separate page as such. The issue there is
that one or two users (who happen to also be moderators) are very set on
considering the Apache project a different project, and not the "successor"
of the Oracle project. So it's actually the Oracle project that is being
called dormant. I do believe that it is a bit confusing for any normal user
that goes to read wikipedia, a lot of simple users don't even realize the
history behind this (I myself didn't until just recently, as I've been
reading up on the evolution of the project). But it's fairly useless trying
to clear it up any, as there are a couple users who are very intent on
keeping everything as is, any changes will spark debate (as has already
happened). It's probably not worth it...

Posted by John D'Orazio <jo...@cappellaniauniroma3.org>.
By golly you are right, I didn't notice that mr. David Gerard has really
turned this into a personal crusade of his.

Posted by Larry Gusaas <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Phillip Rhodes <mo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Phillip Rhodes <mo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Phillip Rhodes <mo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@apache.org>.
Added a {{Failed verification}} tag.  That shows as "[[not in citation
given]]".

Don

Posted by Max Merbald <ma...@gmx.de>.
Hi Phil,